• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BANKS Power Exhaust Header pipe for XJ

idahjo

NAXJA Forum User
After noting that my header (manifold to cat) was so kinked and creased on this '98 Cherokee, I ordered a new OEM thinking the one on it had been "dinged". Well, the new one was just like so I sent it back. After following some of the information on the forum, I checked Banks' website and found they apparently have them. I called and was told they DON'T.

Could not locate s-s pipes with the unrestricted bends like Banks showed so looked at their site again. http://www.bankspower.com/app.cfm?appid=AJ01 The picture to the left of the top paragraph saying, "1991-01 4.0 Cherokee" sure shows a header pipe. I called them again and a Power Consultant told me they presently DO NOT HAVE THEM AVAILABLE, but have hopes of coming out this year with pipes for the Cherokee. GREAT!

As a bunch of the other posts pointed out, have a local muffler shop bend one for you.

karstic said:
As a bunch of the other posts pointed out, have a local muffler shop bend one for you.

I prefer to wait for something that I know FITS! I posted the input from Banks thinking that it may be of interest to someone besides ME...

Banks has been promising XJ downtubes (their trade name is Torque Tube IIRC) for quite awhile. I'll believe it when I see it. I think the only other stainless alternative is Borla, but you can't buy it as a seperate piece. Those more knowledgable can correct me as needed.

92AKXJ said:
Banks has been promising XJ downtubes (their trade name is Torque Tube IIRC) for quite awhile. I'll believe it when I see it. I think the only other stainless alternative is Borla, but you can't buy it as a seperate piece. Those more knowledgable can correct me as needed.

Thanks for the lead, but Borla's website indicates they make no-such parts for this rig.

I installed the Borla Header on my 99XJ with 4.0 even though it said it was only for up to a 97. The manifold fits perfect on the engine and the pipe to the cat has the correct bends. The only issue is that the Borla pipe has a slightly different diameter than the original pipe going into the catalytic converter. I put on an adapter and had it welded and I was good to go. So I guess there was some difference between 97 XJs and later.

MAP

Back