• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No start

zorro55555

NAXJA Forum User
I have finally been hit with the no start problem. I was dreading this day and thought I had a pretty good handle on what to do when it happened. Ha! The mind seems to go blank when you turn the key and nothing happens. I have a 1991 XJ with the 4.0 and chrysler FI system. Retrieving the codes all I get is the end of code sequence 55. Does this mean the cps and cam signals are still OK? I can't check for spark until better half gets home to run the ignition key for me. Or with no codes should I be thinking something else(like fuel)? Could someone start me down the right path here? Tnx for any leads.:confused:

When you turn the key What Happens?? nothing??? No clicking or does it drag and not catch?? What exactly does it do??

The starter works good and turns the engine over fine. My keyturner is still 5 hours away so I will try to recruit someone in the neighborhood to twist the key to check for spark. It was hot in Tacoma yesterday (93) so that may have been a factor. It doesn't even try to fire after parking yesterday.

OK the latest is that I have spark or about 1/4 inch of it after cranking it all this time. I pressed the schraeder valve on the fuel rail and no fuel. I had my neighbor turn on the key while I held the schraeder valve in--- still no fuel at rail. I went to rear of Jeep and listened for pump running and when when key was turned on all I heard was a thunk from the fuel tank but no hum or buzz after. Just quiet...and still no gas at rail. Is this the right direction to go in? I thought there was a fuse that fed the relays but was unable to find it.

I think if you heard a thunk from the fuel tank it suggests that there is current getting to the fuel pump, and that the pump itself is bad. It certainly should have hummed. You could confirm this if you unplug it and test for voltage at the terminal, and if there is no current, work your way forward from there.

If I am reading the schematic in my 95 FSM properly, the fuel pump gets its 12 volt + from terminal 9 of the fuel pump relay, and it should appear at terminal F9 (orange) of the connector at the fuel pump end. Either Fuse 6 (60 amp) or fuse 2 (30 amp) in the power distribution center, where the relays are, appears to be the one to check. The relay solenoid gets its power from fuse 6, as do many other things, and the fuel pump gets its power from fuse 2.

I followed the wires out on the 1991 schematic and it is a little different on mine. Anyway I put 12v across to the plug-in terminal of the fuel pump relay directly to the pump(thru the resistor that makes it run quieter) and I still got the same thunk but still no gas at the fuel rail. I am probably confident to call the pump either bad or just stuck at this point. But with my health as it is ,my neighbor graciously offered to tow it to the shop where he has his Jeep worked on. Anyway when I find out for sure I'll post back and let you know what they said or did. Thanx to those that joined in on this exercise.

As a follow-up it was indeed the fuel pump. So I guess you can believe the computer codes and follow basic trouble-shooting and come to a proper solution (and sometimes you just get lucky).:clap:

Back