• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

project cheap ass 97 xj's shopping list: almost complete

olivedrabcj7

NAXJA Member #1384
heres what were workin with
$4,000 budget: 97 2 door XJ, 4.0, AW4, np231, 8.25 rear, d30 front

Jeep + delivery fee = $2100 (hella good deal!!!)
1900 remaining
used 36" swampers = $325
1575 remaining
4.5" rustys lift = $500
1075 remaining
RE control arm DB's = $250
825 remaining
SYE+xj front DS = 175
700 remaining
Used 4.56's F/R = 250
450 remaining
used 15x8 steelies = 100
350 remaining
gear installs F/R = 200
100 remaining
misc. build costs ~100 (mounting tires, broken tools, beer and pizza for friends that decide to help, etc...)

ALL THESE PRICES ARE WITH SHIPPING INCLUDED!!!

ummm... i dont know where you are getting an SYE and a driveshaft for 170... and gear install on 2 axles will run you a boat load more than 200... i think its about 200 per axle (on the bench) out here...

used gears - not the right way to get it done... ask yuccaman... and master install kits probably arent included in that cost..

you forgot brake lines - 100

and new gear oil

Last edited:
XJ_ranger said:
ummm... i dont know where you are getting an SYE and a driveshaft for 170... and gear install on 2 axles will run you a boat load more than 200... i think its about 200 per axle (on the bench) out here...

used gears - not the right way to get it done... ask yuccaman...

you forgot brake lines - 100

and new gear oil

So just because it is more out there then its that way everywhere?

I had my gears done for 125 per, so it is possible

no pics yet. i havent started building it yet. waiting on parts to trickle in. plus i live in an apartment so im gonna ask a buddy if he wants to lend me his driveway one weekend if i bring the beer and pizza. i will post build pics and final pics once its all done.

got the gears used from a friend whose xj was totaled in a rear end collision. the gears are less than 2 months old. plus he only had a chance to wheel it twice with the gears in it. a guy im friends with does alot of the local jeep work in hot springs and ive paid him several thousand dollars in the past years to do work for me so he said bring it to me with the gears and 200 bucks and ill call you when im done.

hack-n-tap is 85, just bought a driveshaft for 30 from the boneyard with a good cv joint in it. and i got the 211229x flange from oreilleys for 44.99.

ive got a set of brakelines under the workbench at home left over from a previous kit. brand new.

gear oil is cheap compared to all the above sheist and can be included in the left over 100 bucks for misc. items.

got a few items piling up now

1997 XJ
48c210ec.jpg

CV front driveshaft (going to use in the rear with SYE)
97XJ007.jpg

rustys 4.5" kit with full leaf packs (no pics yet.....you know what it looks like)

2" BB to go on top of the 4.5" kit
97XJ019.jpg

RE drop brackets (braces are still in the mail)
97XJ015.jpg

cragar soft 8's
97XJ013.jpg

36x12.50 swamper TSL's
97XJ008.jpg

wheels and tires mounted
97XJ017.jpg

thats all for now...ill get more pics as more stuff comes in!!! i cant WAIT to tear into this thing!!!

Back