• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Oil Leak

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
Another for yous guys (a Chicago saying)

New and first leak for me. Dipstick tube is SOAKED, some splash on the filter and on the back side of the distributor. Not the head or valve cover, pretty sure. Can something cause a backup up the dipstick tube??

Have a 93 4.0L HO, running Mobil 1 10W30, filter is an unknown at this point but will soon be a Purolator or K&N. Oil pressures generally stay around 55. Motor has 200K+ on it.

Replacing rear CCV tube and orifice today. (cleaned it as well.)
Suggestions??? :rattle:

Could be your oil filter adapter o-rings. I have went thru 3 sets in 2 years. From what I have gathered I should grease them when I install them. It gets on all the stuff you just described and drips off the pan. It is a fairly easy fix when you change your oil. Type in Oil filter adapter in search and they may have an explaination on install. I know there is a torx nut you will need to take off. The kit cost anywhere from 10 to 20 dollars at your nearest Stealership for 3 lousy O-rings.
Good luck !

boise49ers said:
Could be your oil filter adapter o-rings. I have went thru 3 sets in 2 years. From what I have gathered I should grease them when I install them. It gets on all the stuff you just described and drips off the pan. It is a fairly easy fix when you change your oil. Type in Oil filter adapter in search and they may have an explaination on install. I know there is a torx nut you will need to take off. The kit cost anywhere from 10 to 20 dollars at your nearest Stealership for 3 lousy O-rings.
Good luck !

What he said, with some modifications:
I think it's probably the oil-filter adaptor o-rings. If they have never been changed, they are probably hard and brittle by now.
I just replaced my oil filter adaptor o-rings last week.
The one on my '88 had a 5/8" nut on the end - not a torx nut.
The kit (all three o-rings) at my DEALership was $6.23.
Took about 30 minutes. :thumbup:

Rocketman said:
Another for yous guys (a Chicago saying)

New and first leak for me. Dipstick tube is SOAKED, some splash on the filter and on the back side of the distributor. Not the head or valve cover, pretty sure. Can something cause a backup up the dipstick tube??

Have a 93 4.0L HO, running Mobil 1 10W30, filter is an unknown at this point but will soon be a Purolator or K&N. Oil pressures generally stay around 55. Motor has 200K+ on it.

Replacing rear CCV tube and orifice today. (cleaned it as well.)
Suggestions??? :rattle:
Looks like your on the right track (clogged PCV/Vent). Oil filter brand is unimportant though; have used Fram for years W/O ill effects :)

Funny story to lend to that...
In HS a buddy of mine purchased a set of fancy aluminum valve covers. He just bolted them on. Shorly afterwards his engine started blowing oil from every orfice- Very cool!

He asked me what I thought the problem was before he pulled the motor. I took one look at those shinny new valve covers- with no vents or PCV hookups and handed him his sign.

Back