• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge and/or light?

gnet

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry to ask a "stupid" question but I've read the forums and the Haynes manual...
I have a (newly bought) -96 XJ with a temperature gauge. On the right side
of the instruments there is also some warning lights one of which is a water temperatur warning. I can se it with a flashlight but it newer comes on, not even when the enginge starts (as all of the other warnings do). Should it or is there no warning sensor when you have the gauge??

gnet said:
Sorry to ask a "stupid" question but I've read the forums and the Haynes manual...
I have a (newly bought) -96 XJ with a temperature gauge. On the right side
of the instruments there is also some warning lights one of which is a water temperatur warning. I can se it with a flashlight but it newer comes on, not even when the enginge starts (as all of the other warnings do). Should it or is there no warning sensor when you have the gauge??

For a long time they used the same warning-light cluster for all models, so there will be blank lights depending on which version you have. I'll bet there is no bulb behind that one at all. I'm not sure what version would have used the light in that part of the cluster, since the idiot light was in the main gauge cluster, but perhaps they made the lights redundant, or perhaps it came on the police version which was equipped for extended idle, or perhaps it was never used at all.

Ok. Thanks for your answer. So this means there is only one temperature sensor in the coolant?
Another "light" question:
I've seen references to lights for "part time" and "full time". Like many others I have a bad contact for 4WD indication, but I can't (even with a flashlight) find the full time light, only the part time. Is that correct for this model?
(-96 XJ Limited edition, HO)

Not sure about that year, but the earlier versions, it uses the same light weather it's in part or full time. Do you have the manual for it at all? It may shed some light on it for you.

Yes, I have a german manual... In it I can see the full-time light but as far as I can tell there is no such light in the car. The existing light is labeled "part time".
There are other minor differences with the manual so I don't really trust it.

gnet said:
Yes, I have a german manual... In it I can see the full-time light but as far as I can tell there is no such light in the car. The existing light is labeled "part time".
There are other minor differences with the manual so I don't really trust it.

yeah, I know what you mean. Just been doing some wiring things, and seems that what I have actually found in '88 XJ's is totally different from what the FSM says. Go figure eh?

Back