• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ E-brake broke?

CheapXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Any common reason why an MJ would have no resistance on the e-brake pedal (it'll fly to the floor if I breathe on it)

I'm thinking one or more of the cables is broke. haven't really had time to look at it and I was thinking that maybe it's something little and stupid :dunno:

It might not be adjusted. the cable might have snapped in the conduit. The cable might not be attached at the pedal end. Jack up the rear end and spin a wheel. Then apply the e-brake pedal and try to spin it.

Cable is probably snapped. The foot brake is a PITA anyway -- look at it as a good reason/excuse to convert it to an XJ hand brake system, since yours has bucket seats anyway.

that's kinda what I was thinking...

In pulling up the carpet, it looks like I've got to do some cutting to make that work. and the single cable running under the carpet is the culprit. it's rusted completely through, along with a hole that's about 7" X 14" under the clutch pedal running back along the "framerail"

the passenger side is fine though (thank God!!)

You sure you didn't steal my MJ when I wasn't lookin'? Mine also had no e-brake (rusted cable) and no driver's side floor. Hint -- if there's a Lowe's near you, they sell 16-gauge steel patch panels that are the perfect size to replace that floor, from the frame rail out to the sill I think needs a 6" x 24" (might be 8" x 24").

Eagle said:
You sure you didn't steal my MJ when I wasn't lookin'?

I thought yours was fixed :confused:

You got me... I stole yours, and swapped in buckets, a center console and a half-dead 4-banger.

does this bring back memories?
rust3.jpg

:D

(btw, that hole is bigger now... I put my foot through the other side after I was done gutting/taking pics :( )

Yeah, looks familiar. Mine was all prepped for Fred Flintstone style braking.

Back