• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who thinks a aw4 could hold up to a......

4ward

NAXJA Forum User
Tuned Port 305 that's been warmed over slightly, 1 ton axles with 39-42's, and a foot that feels heavy more often than not anymore. I've got too many things going through my head right now. Oh yeah, I ABSOLUTELY HATE 700R4's, 4l60's are too expensive, and I have 3 aw4's layin' around. Overdrive is imperative.

I remember on some of the speed forums seeing Toyota Supras with the AW4 holding up to twin turbos and NOS at the dragstrip....

Different RPM range but still an impressive amount of HP and torque

yes, apparently Supras are putting 800hp through the Toy version of the tranny with relatively little problems.

keep it under 400 hp and 400 lb/ft, put a good cooler on it, and I would think you'd be golden. what do you have planned for bellhousing/adapter?

BrettM said:
yes, apparently Supras are putting 800hp through the Toy version of the tranny with relatively little problems.

What are the differences, if any, between our aw4's and the toy's?

OneTonXJ said:

IIRC 1st gear is lower. I know someone who swapped and said all electrical connections were same...only difference he knew of was lower 1st. Same guy is running a real hot 4.7L (stroker) in his XJ and 1T running gear on 37s.

OneTonXJ said:
mainly just differences in bellhousing/input/output/etc

it sounds like there's a bellhousing to mate to a 60* GM motor, but not the 90* motors like a SBC. I believe the Northstar, Shortstar, and supercharged 3.8 are all 60* and would be great engines. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309899

OneTonXJ said:
Tuned Port 305 that's been warmed over slightly, 1 ton axles with 39-42's, and a foot that feels heavy more often than not anymore. I've got too many things going through my head right now. Oh yeah, I ABSOLUTELY HATE 700R4's, 4l60's are too expensive, and I have 3 aw4's layin' around. Overdrive is imperative.

Our strokers have as much power as that 305........I wouldn't be concerned about it. One nice thing about a 700R4 is that you can run an earlier one without a bunch of electronics on it.

i don't trust 700r4s (or the 4l60e) after seeing my friend deal with them in his K5. also, everything I read on them it seems they have a life of under 100k miles, whereas our AW4s often go over 250k.

now if you're talking about a seriously built 700r4, maybe, but that ain't cheap, and he said he has 3 AW4s lying around.

He said the 305 would be just a little warm, so yes it should be right about the same power output as a good stroked 4.0. Around summer last year I shipped 2 of my shifters to a guy in Washington that was going to put AW4s behind a couple 304s (or was it 360s?) that were pretty built. I haven't heard anything since... I guess that's a good thing?

Point being, if you can get an AW4 to adapt to a 305, GO FOR IT!

Toyota still runs the AW4 behind the v-8 in the full sized tundra pickups. Should hold up ok, as long as it isn't in my Jeep. :gag:

Maybe I'm talking out my ass, again. :gag:
I should have said, I have personally seen an AW4 behind the 4.7l v8 in a 2000 toyota tundra pickup.

Bryan C. said:
Maybe I'm talking out my ass, again. :gag:
I should have said, I have personally seen an AW4 behind the 4.7l v8 in a 2000 toyota tundra pickup.
okay, i did a little checking and it looks like the a340 (AW4) was used up until 04, and the 5 speed auto is new for 05.

BrettM said:
i don't trust 700r4s (or the 4l60e) after seeing my friend deal with them in his K5. also, everything I read on them it seems they have a life of under 100k miles, whereas our AW4s often go over 250k.

X2

I've personally turned a 4L60e into a couple hundred pound paper weight.

OneTonXJ said:
Lots o' tig welding :laugh3:

The tranny will never see any torque from the motor....

Not if you're doing the welding at 3 am...

:D

hinkley

BTW, Tell your Mom the shop should be ready for her jeep around mid-April!

Yes, it will hold up just fine. I've spent a fair amount of time wrenching on Supra stuff, and by all accounts the A340 holds up to about 450 HP with no trouble. More than that, you send it off to Level 10 Performance for Kevlar bands, etc.

Is this a customers rig, or a new one for you? What happened to the buggy plan?

CRASH

All I know is that Parts from an XJ AW4 fit into my Supra's tranny. AND, that same tranny can hold around 450-500HP, before giving problems.

Sean, Why do you hate the 700r4?
It is a very good trans, if set up properly?
It has a nice low 1st gear.
I have had some built that even I couldn't destroy!

Back