• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Towing ???

a4x4freak

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 Cherokee sport with a 3 inch lift . I also have a 86
Cherokee with a 6inch lift .My question is should I tow my 86 the 650 miles to Moab (Iam in Montana) ? Will my 2000 handle a tow like that ? I have a tow dolly I have used before but never behind my 2000 XJ olny behind a chevy 3/4 ton..

make sure you have a tranny cooler hooked up and if the dolly does'nt have its own brake make sure your brakes are good and plan your stops earlier. The XJ is rated to tow 5000 with the towing package and honestly if it were'nt for it being so light weight i think it would pull more than that.

Eric

Make sure that the trailer has electrical brakes and that you have a brake controller on the XJ if not... you're in for a world of hurt when it comes time to stop.

Kejtar

i think 650 will be pushing it myself.. i towed my 87 about 200 miles with my 99 and i think thats a bit much for my taste.. trany cooler is a must!!! i eneded up puking fluid out my distick on 1 long hill.. flat hwy it was ok and felt like it wasnt even there .. actually felt better at 55 60 than at 40... like was said..... start slowing early.. realistically it should be fine.... just a bit far for me.. but moab is just that damn important!! good luck
mc

Back