• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Randy's Tow Hook Kits for XJ's

idahjo

NAXJA Forum User
I saw in an earler thread where someone suggested Randy's after-market front tow hook kits for XJ's. I decided I needed a set, and wanted to first confirm they would fit a "BOX-STOCK" 1998 XJ and place the hook in the proper position for the pre-cut holes in the air dam? Business must be good, as Randy in not answering two such requests for info.

Is there anyone here that can answer the question?

thanks

rusty not randy

i had to cut my air dam, but that is on an 89.

are your slots in the air dam adjacent to the frame rail. if so, i would think you should be fine. from what i can remember, they mount directly below the bumper mounts.

I had to trim a little on my 99 but that was so the air dam wasn't in the way to hook a tow strap to them. I will also endorse Rusty's tow hooks. I put them on in about an hour an a half, with hand tools. That included triming the dam.

89xj said:
rusty not randy

are your slots in the air dam adjacent to the frame rail. if so, i would think you should be fine. from what i can remember, they mount directly below the bumper mounts.

As I recall noting, on the '98 the frame was above and inboard of the existing air dam holes...

Thanks all, as uaual you can be counted on for good/prompt information!

You should have no problems keeping the airdam. I have a '99, and I could've just notched the lower parts of the airdam openings to fit my C4x4 hooks, but I decided to remove it and trim the endcaps as well.
96c9d554.jpg

Last edited:
89xj said:
rusty not randy

When you get as old as I am, there is little difference between Randy and Rusty... admit it; it was "close"!

Timber, if I took the air dam off my wife's XJ, she would 'kick-my-butt'!!

I have a pretty much stock 1997 with Rusty's tow hooks... took me a lot longer than 30 minutes to install though! I had to cut an area out of the air dam for them to fit. Only took a minute to cut it with any regular hack saw. I wanted to keep my air dam because I have factory fog lights in it.

My wife doesn't seem to care too much about the stuff I've done to it. She always jokes (I think she's joking) that I care too much about it to wreck it. Actually, if I didn't point some of the stuff out that I've done, she'd never notice. Seriously, though, you should be able to use a Dremel or file on the airdam to get the hooks to fit easily. You can also try to just shove the airdam over the hooks when you go to put the bumper back on, but I don't know if it'll get warped.

Back