• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overhead Console

Backdraft

NAXJA Forum User
I got a couple questions about an overhead console I got from a boneyard.

Question 1: The console is from a 91 XJ and I plan on putting it in a 90 XJ. Is this thing going to be compatible with my computer system.

Question 2: Does anyone know where all these wires go? I have the harness down to the plugs but dont know if my jeep has corresponding plugs in its harness. I know I will need a outside air temp sensor for it, but thats a different animal.

If anyone has a wiring diagram or schematic for the overhead console that would be a big help. I know enough to be able to splice it into mine if all that looks as if it will work.

Thanks,
Mike

tap tap tap............is this thing on??? anyone??

btt

Testing, testing 1 ... 2 ...3 (Don't you just hate dead air?)

Not sure that I have anything. But, will check FSM, and if so, will shoot you a copy.

Thanks Lou, I actually found some usefull info on JU if you can belive that. Now if I can find time today between shuttleing the wife around to dental appointments i might try some of it. If you get anything out of that FSM it would be great.Guess I just need to break down and buy my own copy one of these days.;)

Mike

btt one more time fer any more input.........

No, you have to get them from the donor.

3 screws hold thefront bracket in and 2 screws hold the rear bracket in

Thanks Lou, I figured out what the problem was last night and got it to work. Turns out you can not see the display info without the tinted glass overlay in place. I spent all last weekend and first part of the week trying to look at it until nighttime came around yesterday then BOOM, it hit me. PUT THE GLASS BACK IN PLACE IDIOT!!!!!!! After I finally listened to my inner Drill Seargent I felt like a complete fool. So needless to say it all works now, but thanks for the offer.

Mike

PS: If anyone is thinkin about adding an overhead console in their Jeep, PM me, as I think I went through enough trouble on the way to sucess and its ALL still fresh in my memory.

Hey guys, I found a few good threads and diagrams over at JU about this. Some are for a 87-96 XJ and some are for a 97+.

This is the main thread I used for info:
http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=331934

Heres a few pics of a 91 FSM overhead console wiring diagrams:
http://community.webshots.com/album/58951859rKpKDa

And another thread:
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=383090&highlight=overhead+console

And yet another thread:
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=416564&highlight=overhead+console

And another thread (very good for 97+):
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=380663&highlight=overhead+console

Anyway, If you want specific info about the 97+ go over to JU and PM jeepzz, I belive that guy has done two or three of those.

For the 87-96 I can tell you that you will need the brackets to mount the console with and you dont have to worry about drilling any holes, if you keep the mount screws from the donor there are indentations above your headliner in the metal where these are to screw into. You will also have to cut your headliner out for these. if your afraid to, remember the rule to measure twice and cut once. And for the wiring, which for me was the beast, there are something like 10 different ones from a harness that plugs into the computer. The wires for the lights are on a 5 pin harness that also plugs into the computer. Keep in mind that if your harness plug shows different color wires as I have seen in other overhead consoles dont worry about them and look at those pics from site two. The locations of the wires in the plug is what is important. They may be a different color but they are for the same thing as what the FSM locations show. Light wires you dont have to worry about but the computer wires are as follows:
2 Black wires = Ground(I ran these to the body for grounding.)
2 Pink wires = 12V+ power from battery(I hooked them up to the 12V+(red) from the dome lite.)
1 White wire = 12V+ switched power(power from ignition, I ran this to the power to my non-working aftermarket power door locks.)
1 Violet/Light Green = Temp Sensor(I ran this from the computer to the front bumper.)
1 Black/Light Blue = Temp Sensor(I ran this from the computer to the front bumper.)
1 Yellow wire = Ground signal to the dome lights(I ran this to the ground(black) for the dome light. Contrary to popular belief the dome lights work by closing a circuit via the door pins and the door pins are located after the lights in the circuit series hence the reason the yellow wire be connected to the ground wire to the dome light.)
The rest are for dimming of the lights, I found them to be more of a PITA and didnt care if the thing dimmed or not.
As far as the rumor of the harness plugs being in the pass side kick panel, your guess is as good as mine. Personally I didnt have any wiring in place and had to run all of my own wires.
Either way, these wires are for the harness for the 87-96 and are the ones needed to have the lights, temp, and compass functional. One thing to be aware of is that if you try to power the computer up while its out of the console and does not have the green tinted glass in front of the display, you will not see a thing as it needs the tinted glas to show any signs of display life.(Ask me how I know this one) If you really want the dimmer to work refer to the second URL I posted for pics of the FSM and save the pics to your hard drive so you can blow them up and read them as they were very helpful to me. Hopefully this is enuff info for yall, but if you have any other questions about it PM me and ill be glad to help. Maybe I should get a write up on this together and post it somewhere for everyone to see:D HTH

Mike

Last edited:
Still good information.

Hi there, I have a 1990 XJ. Now I know its been awhile since youve done this installation...but you might be able to help me out. My Xj came with the overhead console, but Im having wiring issues on it. The previous owner rigged the wire harness with a jumper and if I disconnect it the screen goes blank. With the jumper in place (between the black wire and the black/yellow stripe wire) the directional system works, but the temp gauge reads SC for "short circuit" and I cant figure out what they did, or why they installed the jumper. If you could help, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!
Rob

Hi there, I have a 1990 XJ. Now I know its been awhile since youve done this installation...but you might be able to help me out. My Xj came with the overhead console, but Im having wiring issues on it. The previous owner rigged the wire harness with a jumper and if I disconnect it the screen goes blank. With the jumper in place (between the black wire and the black/yellow stripe wire) the directional system works, but the temp gauge reads SC for "short circuit" and I cant figure out what they did, or why they installed the jumper. If you could help, I would appreciate it!

Thanks!
Rob

Sounds like the jumper is for the outside temperature, in which case you are short circuiting the circuit with that jumper.

Sounds like you need to run the wires for an outside temperature sensor.

Back