• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine will not run at idle, a few questions

Dirk Pitt

Adam Dowling
My Jeep will start, but will not run more than a few seconds before it dies. I searched and found that I need to bypass the ballast resistor. The only problem is, where is it? If there is one there, I don't see it.

2.JPG

So what next? I suspect the IAC. I could replace it but it's kind of expensive, I'd rather test it first. Is there a test and how is it done?

If I start it and keep the rpm up above 1000 it will run fine, but there is a clicking noise coming from this thing... It's just to the right of the washer fluid bottle cap in the pic. What is it and what's wrong with it?

1.JPG

This all started the other night coming home from Winterfest when the check engine light came on and the jeep began dying when I slowed down enough to make turns. If I start it and try to put it in reverse or drive it dies immediately. If I start it and let it sit for a second, it dies.

I tried switching the fuel pump relay with the air conditioner clutch relay but no change.

I'm losing patience. Also, I've heard about pulling codes by turning the key on and off and counting the flashes. What is the exact procedure for my '96?

Specs...4.0/AW4/231

Any help would be appreciated.

I think I've read every post regarding electrical/sensor problems on this forum and maybe 10% post up with a fix to the problem they inquire about so here's mine for future reference.

The Jeep would start, rev to 1500 rpm, settle to 800 rpm or so and then die.

IF I could get it to drive it would die every time I came to a stop sign or turn.

The auto transmission would not shift out of 1st gear even if shifted manually unless the engine was allowed to warm for approx. 30 mins.

If I was travelling at a constant rate of speed everything seemed okay, but press the gas and try to accelerate and it would buck and act like there was a miss.

I cleaned the throttle body especially the IAC. This helped somewhat as it really needed it.

CPS was found to not be the culprit. TPS was replaced and all is well.

HTH for future inquiries.

BTW, 96 4.0 AW4 231

Back