• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubi 241 transfer case swap 242

canuckxj

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking at replacing the hack n tap on my 242, but I also want 4:1. I could not find a kit for the 242, so I was looking at building a 231. Durring the search for a used 231 I found a 03' rubi 241 transfer case. The cost is cheaper to pick up the rubi. Should this bolt right in? I may need to change the driveshaft length.

Has anyone else done this swap? It going into a 01' XJ Auto.

Tera makes a 4:1 for the 242, or at least they used to. You need to send them the front half of your case for the machine work. Probably best to get a junk yard case to send to minimiz downtime.

If you don't need full-time/awd then going with a NV241J is probably the best way to go. they turn up on the forums every once in a while for cheaper than doing a 242 4:1 mod.

r@m

The Rubicon Rock-trac t-case barely beat out the Atlas 2 (22 to 20) in the poll/thread I started. I'm going to be running the rock-trac. Good t-case. My jeep is apart with Ryan (Rawbrown) currently and I want more gearing and strength so I decided to get the rock-trac when I saw it on ebay. Got it for $1,037 shipped, now I just need to sell my low mileage 231 with SYE for some $. Go for it. Here is the link to the poll/thead I started:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48617

Link to 231 vs 241 rock-trac:

http://www.rubiconowners.com/TransferCase.html

Enjoy. :)

Troy

Thanks for the links. I have found a 241 with 1600Km for 1500 CND. Now I need to swap it in, I priced out my options and it seems cheaper to purchase this t-case instead of building up my current t-case.

As for swapping, it should be very minimal modification.

canuckxj said:
Thanks for the links. I have found a 241 with 1600Km for 1500 CND. Now I need to swap it in, I priced out my options and it seems cheaper to purchase this t-case instead of building up my current t-case.

As for swapping, it should be very minimal modification.

You are much better getting the Rock-trac and swapping it in rather and getting the 4:1, SYE, etc for your 231. You have a better, stronger, t-case in the Rock trac at less than 1/2 the cost of an Atlas. If you have lots of $ and want a great t-case, get an Atlas.

Troy

Cheers. Will the speed sensor be an issue? The clocking on a TJ is different than the XJ, is this going to be a problem?

canuckxj said:
Cheers. Will the speed sensor be an issue? The clocking on a TJ is different than the XJ, is this going to be a problem?
The clocking is in the tailcone of the tranny, at least on a standard not sure about auto but I would "guess" it is the same

When I did my tera low kit I discovered the the input shaft for the T-case is shorter on the AW4 application then it is on the AX-15 application.
Just watch out for this.

Back