• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj Horn Problems

stesul411

NAXJA Forum User
Ok this may not be a major problem but its driving me nuts. The horn quit on my 90 XJ, not a real problem but it is my dd and i need it working for my PA inspection.

Relay clicks when I hit the horn button (where the hell is the relay hidden, I can hear it but I cant find it).

Horn works if I jump it hot from battery.

Using OHM Meter I checked for contunity from switch to horn and read a dead short to ground. Changed to volt meter and read 12v on same wire. In my experence shouldn't the horn be blowing all the time??????

This is really driving me nuts, plus the horn would have been real nice while I was driving through Pittsburgh today.

stesul411 said:
Ok this may not be a major problem but its driving me nuts. The horn quit on my 90 XJ, not a real problem but it is my dd and i need it working for my PA inspection.

Relay clicks when I hit the horn button (where the hell is the relay hidden, I can hear it but I cant find it).

Horn works if I jump it hot from battery.

Using OHM Meter I checked for contunity from switch to horn and read a dead short to ground. Changed to volt meter and read 12v on same wire. In my experence shouldn't the horn be blowing all the time??????

This is really driving me nuts, plus the horn would have been real nice while I was driving through Pittsburgh today.

The horn switch completes the ground side of the circuit to the relay, so that part is fine. I'm not sure about the relay on a 90, but the diagram I've seen for it says it is "above and to left of fuse panel." The wire leading to it from the steering column should be gray/red, and there should also be a gray and brown wire.

had this problem on my daughters 93 xj. Her horn was dead. Replaced the horn and still would not work.

I scratched up where the wire grounded/horn connected to chassis and it worked great. (had to replace with one from autozone and it has two connectors, so just loop back one terminal to the bolt used to attach the horn)

to make a long story short.......uuummmm, too late........the ground was bad at the point where the horn connected to the chassis.

Back