• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Proposed legislation in Vt

Brian Carpenter

NAXJA Forum User
Please look at proposed House bill H-421 which seeks to limit access to "class IV" highways in the green mountain state. It would force Jeepers to obtain a town permit before conducting trail runs, and could close land because towns could not provide adequate emergency services to the length of these unimproved roads. Feel free to write the legislators sponsoring the bill in regards to its impact on our sport. and let them know that we are not out there to damage the forests or cause problems on current legal roads, and that we benefit the communities in which we wheel.

the bill http://www.leg.state.vt.us/database/status/summary.cfm?Bill=H.0421&Session=2006

Rep. Richard Hube: [email protected]
Rep. Richard Marek: [email protected]

Scary stuff.

And to think -- Vermont, like Connecticut and Massachgusetts, was once part of New England. That was before the yuppie invasion.

You're right Eagle that is truly scary, time to start sending letters and cards, otherwise, if that passes, lots of groups, not just NAXJA, will get hurt...jeeze what did they do import people from Boston and NYC, damn! :mad:

one point to note is that the "proposal" doesnt speak of "full-size OHVs" in specific terms but we would certainly fall under its jurisdiction... i will be sending something to the politicians involved.. part of the problem is that as a non-resident your opinion could very well fall on deaf ears... i have learned this dealing with the EOEA here in Ma.. i belive the background behind this is a problem that some locals and sheriffs had with a 2-wheeler club doing something like a poker run.. someone complained.. the authorities hassled and the organization running the event chose to shut it down rather than fight it.. after some investigation it was deemed the authorities were "in the wrong" about how they handled it to some extent... this appears to be their "band aid" to keep the upper hand when the next season rolls around....

LETTER WRITTING MAKES A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a flood of letters to the Ma EOEA (executive office of environmental affairs) is what got us noticed and what got me invited to sit on their planning/steering board...

make a point to let themknow where you reside.... if you are not from Vt you need to stress the "tourism" issue.... how much do you spend in their state annually? post this info on any other boards you may frequent and get the word going around new england...

As someone who travels an camps in VT, If it helps, I'll write a letter. I usually get the typical 'thanks for your letter, but I'm blowing ya off' from our reps here in NH. Every bit does help.

Copperhead

Back