• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lifts/bumpers/skids?

cherokeedude3

NAXJA Forum User
hey, i just bought a 99xj...was wondering what lift you guys/gals suggest and how big?(will i need a sye). any suggestions on bumpers? skid plates ...are they an early add on necessity? let me know... :dunno:

well, a lot of that depends on what you're wanting... how big do YOU want to go? What kind of wheeling are you planning on doing? What type of terrain? What's your budget? Are you willing to do fender trimming? How much wheeling experience do you already have? Is this your first 4x4? Your first Jeep? Your first XJ?

For bumpers, are you planning on getting a winch?

Skid plates... I'd recommend a t'case skid, gas tank skid, and rocker guards at a minimum. Then you might also consider a tranny/engine skid, depending on where/how you wheel.

I own a '99 as well. I did a mild lift using coil spacers in the front and full length AAL's in the rear and needed a transfer case drop as well as 2 1/2* shims. For reference, I'm sitting at 20" measured from the center of the hub to factory fender flares in the front and 21" in the rear.

I probably need an SYE and would definitely plan on one for your rig.

Good choice, the 99 was a banner yaer... well I liked it. If you just got it ad are still making payments, you might want to just give it a BB and get some skids for it. Try a RE BB AAL and that will take care of sagging leafs, get some 30" tires, then remove the rear sway, throw on a front, T-case, gas tank skids, and two hooks and rear reciever. Of course I did that in reverse order:

1st recovery: Hi-Lift jack w/winch adapter or come-along, front hooks/reciver hitch, rear reciever hitch
2nd Skids: front, t-case, gas tank
3rd Whatever: BB or lights or bumpers.

The important thing is that you go and have fun with what you have!

BTW do you have a drak green sport?

get the following in order:

skids

bumpers

lift

axles

tires

Back