• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ-96 Code 45

gnet

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

I tried to search the forum and the web for the meaning of the trouble code 45 on my Cherokee Limited -96. I have the Haynes repair manual but it lists only code 44 and 46....
Probably somebody here can help me ?

I show
45 Turbo boost limit exceeded (engine was shut down by logic module) but that seems to be for other vehicles. What else did you get? Shold have had at least a 55 showing end of codes.

Look at http://www.allpar.com/fix/codes.html for the codes, we use the two-digit codes for 80s/90s cars.

Yes I got 55 also (and 12 because I have cleaned the battery)

I saw a code 45 somehwere for a -97 and it was something with the NSS. I just want to confirm it. Another meaning for 45 (also "somewhere") was Rich exhaust but I don't think that is the case because I've imported it to Sweden and we have very strict exhaust regulations.

I've looked at the site you mention but can't find the codes for 97... ?

You can't pull the codes for the 97 using the On-off-on-off-on method we can for the 96. There's a section in that linked page for 2001 engine codes, and that lists the 3- and 4-digit codes found with those engines.

Sorry, I mean I can't find the codes for my -96!
I've found the PDF with two-digit codes but they are for newer cars, or?

Matthew Currie said:
There's no 45 listed in the FSM for the 95. Are you sure you counted right?

You mean -96??

Yes, I counted it several times! But if you are really sure I will do it again when my wife returns with the car.

I'll pull up my 96 FSM tonight and get the codes posted. Make sure that you have the engine thoroughly warmed up before trying to pull codes too.

gnet said:
You mean -96??

Yes, I counted it several times! But if you are really sure I will do it again when my wife returns with the car.

I don't have the 96 manual, but I was under the impression that the key codes remained the same, even though the 96 was the first version to use OBDII. Of course they might well have added a code, but if they did, I have found no reference for it anywhere else either.

Just stumbled on a list for "1993–1995 Diagnostic Trouble Codes"
and found:
45 Overdrive solenoid. Problem detected in the overdrive solenoid circuit.

Hmmm, what symptom would that give?

Back