• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torched Body to block strap

boise49ers

NAXJA Forum User
I torched the body to block strap sometime back and now I'm having starting problems. I had a dead short on the winch that torched it. It didn't burn all the way up but just caught fire until I popped the lead off the winch. Maybe 5 seconds. If they go up in flame do they not ground good. It is still there and seems pretty strong. Did I maybe screw up something else in the process ? Couldn't find anything at the time. I keep hearing about a ground by the battery. I know there is the small one off the negative terminal, is there another close to the battery I'm missing ?

It is no longer a ground strap, now it's a resistor with carbon molecules mixed in there.

The winch torched the ground strap? Wow - sounds like it's time to degrease your engine. :laugh3:
* Replace the strap - it won't work right without it, and I'm surprised that it's working at all.
* FYI: the main ground does go between the battery to the side of the block (near the oil filter).

By all means replace the ground strap. You may want to consider the addtion of other redundant grounds where the opportunity presents itself, I have noticed the factory wiring harness leaves something to be desired in respect to sufficient grounding. I added a section from the ground above the oil filter (on the block) directly to the battery using some good quality multistrand power wire like they sell for those high power thumper audio systems. Not only does it help with your starting and spark plug propagation, it can help prevent fires in your engine bay.

Yup, new strap. Might want to get all new grounds just to be sure. There's a guy on here, 5-90, who makes custom cables that are awesome. He can hook you up with whatever replacement you need for pretty cheap. And they are BEEFY!! Shouldn't have to worry about setting his on fire.

Those braided ones are designed to burn before your harness. It is a good thing. I replaced all grounds and added a couple. Ended up the used starter I bought was toast too. The new one works great.

Thanks All

My Greasy Motor

Back