• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Eagle, can you help with info on these leaf springs?

nosajwp

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.rigidsteel.com/y131pC3tIGk0.html

Eagle, if you have a chance, please check out the rear leafs this guy is selling. Do you know which of these springs came with which packages on the XJ? I tried asking the guy directly, but he didn't know.

Also, he only lists one coil for late model XJ's. Is the front std. coil for a late model XJ the same as an Up-Country coil, or does he just not have the UC coils?

Thanks man!

I don't have a clue. First time I saw two-letter codes assigned to the rear springs. My recollection is that the Jeep parts catalog lists a lot more than 4 springs, though. I have part numbers for 2000 Up Country springs at home, but I'm several thousand miles away at the moment so I can't check it for you. I have posted them in the past, if you want to search. I've been gone almost 4 months, so it had to have been at least that far back.

Ditto the front. I posted the part numbers but don't have access to them now. The Up Country front coil is NOT the standard XJ coil, it actually crosses to a ZJ coil ... the question is which ZJ coil.

Sparkman, are you sure these are the UC parts that he has? Please let me know how it goes once you get them on, because I will probably go this route too. My rear is hanging pretty low. The sad thing is that I see a lot of pre-'97's around here that have less sag than my '01.

What shocks would be good to use with UC springs?

At my brother's advice, I tried KYB GasAdjusts several years ago and I hated them. Almost as harsh as Rancho 5000s, and very poor control over small pavement ripples. I took them out almost immediately and did what I should have done from the start -- bought Monroes.

Mine are Monroe Gas Magnums. If I were doing it today, I'd look at Monroe Sensatracs for a stock height vehicle, or Reflex for a lifted vehicle.

One other thing Eagle, can you think of some reasons why an un-lifted (except for UC springs) XJ might be better as far as ride quality, part longevity, and off-road capability go than a lifted XJ?

Have you noticed any performance decrease from using 235's with stock gears?

Once you lift 2" or more the lower control arms are at an angle rather than horizontal. When the front wheels hit a bump and want to move up, instead of the axle swinging up and arcing back, it has to try to swing INTO the direction of travel. That makes the ride harsher. At three inches and higher, the angle becomes rather acute. The whole point of the Trailmaster and RE drop brackets is to get the LCAs back closer to the stock geometry. At 4" of lift, they do exactly that.

I don't think it's valid to say a stock XJ is "better" off-road than a lifted XJ. That's probably impossible. I just think that a stock XJ is a lot more capable than most folks give it credit for.

I don't notice any difference from 225s to 235s, but with 3.07 gears on a 250,000 mile engine I do feel it when I'm running the 30s. Doesn't like hills in 5th gear at all (it's not crazy about hills in 5th gear regardless of tires).

Just for fun these are all the stock numbers from the 94-96 parts manual.
4 different "standards" 3 "heavy duty" and 2 different heavy-duty-off-road.
There is no explination anywhere of what 'package' got what springs.
(one # appears twice though so there are "only" 8 types)

5200 0050 Std. Duty, Coded LB (#2157), w/(ZTS,ZFS)1994, (ZUS,ZFS)1995-96
5200 0051 Std. Duty, Coded LC,EC(#2424),w/(ZTT,ZFT)1994,(ZUT,ZFT)1995-96
5200 0545 Std., Coded LL (#2424)w/(ZUT,ZGT)1994, (ZVT,ZGT)1995-96
5200 0706 Std. Duty, Coded LN (#2961)w/(ZTU,ZFU)1994, (ZUU,ZFU)1995-96
5200 0544 H.D., Coded LK (#2157)w/(ZUS,ZGS)1994, (ZVS,ZGS)1995-96
5200 0545 H.D., Coded LL (#2424)w/(ZUT,ZGT)1994, (ZVT,ZGT)1995-96
5200 0707 H.D., Coded LM (#2691)w/(ZUU,ZGU)1994, (ZVU,ZGU)1995-96
5200 2390 H.D., Coded LS (Off Road)w/(ZVV,ZGV)1994, (ZVV,ZGV)1995-96
5200 2392 H.D., Coded LT (Off Road)w/(ZUW,ZGW)1994, (ZVW,ZGW) 1995-96

Back