• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

turbo?

graVes14

NAXJA Forum User
any particular reason that ive never seen a turbo charged xj? are there any kits or well matched turbos out there? has anyone done this?

no kits are availible but if you are serious about it, it can be done...see this months issue of grassroots racing for a great article

consider the issue of added heat to a vehicle that sometimes has overheating problems and if you use your vehicle offroad the added power may not come until higher rpm where it is not needed

good luck though

Personally I really like the idea of a turbo for the 4.0. The 4.0 really doesn't need any extra power on the low end. It works great as is for crawling and most wheeling. Where the 4.0 really needs help is in the mid range and up. Perfect territory for a turbo. When wheeling at low RPM the turbo wouldn't add much if any extra heat to the motor. This is why I really think a turbo is a much better application for the 4.0 in a XJ than a blower. There is even a really cool way to work the turbo so that air need not go through the turbo at low rpm reducing turbo lag. It's a set up they used on the Factory installed turbo on the Yamaha Seca Turbo.

B-loose

An electronically controlled variable geometry turbo - like on my Duramax. No turbo lag and boost that starts big and gets bigger!
No need for it on a trail rig, though. Maybe a desert racer - but those guys just don't know how to have fun.

What Rd (f.k.a. ArmStrong) said:
An electronically controlled variable geometry turbo - like on my Duramax. No turbo lag and boost that starts big and gets bigger!
No need for it on a trail rig, though. Maybe a desert racer - but those guys just don't know how to have fun.

That's complex for a turbo project, insated yuo can gowith a t3/t4 hybrid Ball bearing with almost zero lag!

Back