• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

longer homemade QD's

Codeman

NAXJA Forum User
So I've been running the homemade QD's see here- (http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/98/08_aug/disconnect/disconnect.html)

And they were fine, but I decided I wanted them to be longer, and a little less complicated to disconnect and connect. Here's what I did!

Materials:
same for the lower half as the previously mentioned artice- 2 hitch pins and 2 tine pins.

for the top- (x2)
hitch pin
3/8 x 3.5" bolt
nut, lock washer
barrel/coupler nut

I took apart what I already had, and then used the bolt/lock washer/nut to secure the bushings on the sway bar. There should be some bolt left over- we'll get to that.

Next I drilled out half of the barrel nuts with a 3/8ths bit, and slightly shaved down the threads on the links. This allows the link to slide up into the nut. (if you can find equivilent sized bolts and coupler nuts to match the links, that might be better) I already had holed drilled into the links from previous set up. I went ahead and drilled slightly larger holes into the coupler nuts, so that the hitch pin could go through when the nut and link are together.

I spun the coupler nut onto the previoulsy mentioned bolt, now hanging on the sway bar securly, and then connected the link to the bar via the coupler nut by way of tine pin.

The end result: links are about 3" longer, which puts it all back to normal, as I am lifted about 3". I dont' have to worry about keeping track of the bushings when disconnected. It is much faster to disconnect- no prying at a wing nut that wont come off without plyers. Its a little easier to connect again as well.

Sorry I have no pics- I don't know how to post them!

Codeman

Back