• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear axle seals

heyhar

NAXJA Forum User
My '92 needs a new axle seal. Does it matter which rear is in the car? I don't know if it's a Dana or Chrysler, although I believe it's a C-clip. TIA.

funny thing those seals...their behind the bearing and collar and in front of the backing plate....so when you do the seal, you need to do a bearing as well-its gotta come off...with the collar. And if you do one, the other side will want some attention next- its a "do it now, or watch it leak in a few days" kinda thing.

do the quicky search on dana44 axle bearings-we went through this a few times. Somewhere along the way you should find the URL for axle ID- ID yours, and buy the good bearings.

Ed in North Ga. said:
funny thing those seals...their behind the bearing and collar and in front of the backing plate....so when you do the seal, you need to do a bearing as well-its gotta come off...with the collar. And if you do one, the other side will want some attention next- its a "do it now, or watch it leak in a few days" kinda thing.

do the quicky search on dana44 axle bearings-we went through this a few times. Somewhere along the way you should find the URL for axle ID- ID yours, and buy the good bearings.

if it's a stock '92 axle... it's a dana 35...he said it's a c-clip...

so it's not a 44... bearing will not need to be replaced unless it is bad.

Thanks to Yucca-man's nice picture collection, I now know that I have a Chryco 8.25 rear- with a c- clip. Funny thing though, the Haynes manual only shows unbolting a retainer through a hole in the axle flange (which I don't have), and then slap-hammering the axle out! That's the real beauty of a service like this. Thanx guys!

That's why the FSM is a great purchase - none of the weird Haynes/Chilton's pictures and referrals to the dealer. Glad it helped.

Back