• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waggy 44 mounting surface

xj-grin

NAXJA Member #1096
So I'm researching how my 44 front is going to go together, and what I will start with. I like the simplicity of Ford radius arms alot, but don't intend to run enough lift to make the odd offset of the EB pumpkin work. Question is this -- is there enough axle tube between the inner knuckle and the pumpkin on a late 80's waggy 44 to fit Ford wedges in there? Anyone have some pics or measurements of the amount of room on this axle?

TIA :wierd:

If you are not STUCK with the Ford radius arm design (i.e. cast in mounts on a 78-79), I WOULD NOT go trying to adapt it to the waggy. So many better designs, with really minimal extra fab work.

If, for some twisted reason, you want radius arms, have you peeked under an FJ-80 ever? How about a Defender 90? Both are better versions of a radius arm, especially if you flipped their designs so they ran over the top of the tube....

CRASH

not so twisted - anyone have any defender pics handy? Crash, any particular reason for your dislike of the Ford system? I've see alot of folks adapt 44 fronts using the stock mounts through RE kits and the like, and have always thought that it seemed like an awful lot of extra work to have a simple radius arm setup when you're fininshed -- enlighten me. thanks for the input, I'm merely getting all my ducks in a row before I start tossing around time and money.

I was the first to put an RE radius arm style under an XJ (actually, before the kti was available for a TJ even). I didn't like the unloading on steep climbs. I didn't like the amount of slop in the bushings under braking. It flexed well, though.

The Ford design is much simpler, but it has limitations. It still unloads under climbs, due to the anti-dive geometry of a radius arm design. Radius bushings tend to wear out quickly under hard use. They have some sloppiness to them as well.

Not saying they are all bad, only picky bastards like me are likely to even notice some of the downfalls. Many use them to great effect. I'm just saying there are better ways to build a radius arm setup.

CRASH

nothing wrong with picky bastards. I am looking at the Ford method because (1) way simple, and I like simple; (2) I can get the wedges and arms for free; (3) utilizing anything similar to the stock axle mounts for a custom radius style axle just seems like a lot of unnecessary work.

I've read about the unloading arguments on steeps -- can this be cured with a centered limiting strap? As for the soft bushings, were you running rubber or poly -- I've never felt anything close to "sloppy" in my buddy's full size bronco with poly bushed radiuses...

For arguements sake, lets say I am twisted and stuck on the ford radius design -- anyone know if there is even sufficient tube exposed on the drivers side of a Waggy 44 to fit a wedge in there? :jester:

xj-grin said:
nothing wrong with picky bastards.

careful!

don't get too picky or you'll end up with one of these:
picture.JPG

or one of these:
crash_1_1.jpg

(CRASH and Jes' URF 3 links)

If you have no use for the Hp and still have it layin' around, shoot me a pm back........... :pig:

And if your going the waggy route, check CO4x4. Some guy started to set one up for his TJ but couldn't finish. Has the coil buckets and one of the UCA mounts ready to go.......... :wierd:

Last edited:
Ive got some ford radius arms that ill sell you - and soon will cut off my wedges... you can have them all at the cost of 20.00 + shipping...

let me know...

Back