• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D and C cage question

xjrugger

NAXJA Forum User
i am in the first proces of install and while fitting it i discovered a question of what i should do. With the floor lonts should I:

-go all out and make another set of floor mounts and sandwhich the body in between the two floor mounts with bolts holding them in tight.

-pull back the carpet and weld the mounts to the floor and then notch the carpet around the bars and bolt the plate down to the floor

-or just cut a piece of carpet slightly bigger than the floor mounts and then weld them to the floor and drill the bolt holes in and eventually get a piece of trim to cover the gap between the carpet and the floor plates

all insight is well appreciated

xjrugger said:
i am in the first proces of install and while fitting it i discovered a question of what i should do. With the floor lonts should I:

-go all out and make another set of floor mounts and sandwhich the body in between the two floor mounts with bolts holding them in tight.

-pull back the carpet and weld the mounts to the floor and then notch the carpet around the bars and bolt the plate down to the floor

-or just cut a piece of carpet slightly bigger than the floor mounts and then weld them to the floor and drill the bolt holes in and eventually get a piece of trim to cover the gap between the carpet and the floor plates

all insight is well appreciated

On this one I made, I welded some plates ontop of the sheet metal frame rails, then welded the cage to the plates C hoop and D pillars.
dave_welding.jpg

The A-pillars and B-hoop I cut out some holes and ran them through the sheetmetal floor and welded them to some feet that welded to the plated frame and to the rocker. This allowed the front of the cage to drop So I could weld the top joints full circle without burning up the headliner..
cagedropped.jpg

B-hoopfoot.jpg

Rearview._painted.jpg

Ashman, that is an AWESOME job. Good idea to drop thru the floor. I have another question. What do i do if the heater core eventually goes and i have this cage in here blocking me from geting behind the dash?? So welding the plates to the floor and bolting them in for security should be enough for the strength of the cage? Also is it better to have the seat belts attatched to the cage? especially if it's a harness. Is this better because in case of an extreme situation then you will stay buckled within the cage rather than the cage shift while the occupants are still belted into the stock mounts??? sorry for the questions, but i want to do this right.\

-Mike

I did a combination of those things for mine. With the B pillar hoop I cut the carpet out and made my own feet and then welded them right above the unibody frame rails. It kinda sucked welding with the carpet only slightly bigger than the feet. I had to make a shield to keep the heat from melting the carpet.

I have husky liners that go over that area....so, it worked out fine and I don't notice it.

The A pillar legs are sandwhiched in with plates and they will be braced to the frame on the bottom side shortly.

The D pillar is just bolted down over the carpet right now, but I'll be fixing that at some point in time. It just isn't on my priority list right now.

Brian
www.projectxj.com

Ashman, is that obx tubing just welded on the 3 bottom sides? If you welded the top, how did you do it? Is it just welded right to the unibody? Did you plate the unibody at all?

Back