• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

installing diffs and gears, backlash adjustment etc etc

joe88xj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I installed a trutrac diff in my d30, i replaced the bearings and noticed a couple shims on the carrier behind the bearings, do these affect the gears meshing in any way? i put them on the trutrac the same way they were on theoe carrier, it works great no wining or anything, im about to put a d44 together with a trutrac and want to be sure im not missin somethin, ive been told some diffs have shims to adjust the ring and pinion depth but didnt see any in my d30, havent taken the d44 apart yet, sorry for the long post.
TIA
Joe

Improperly set gears will most likely fail,either prematurely or catastrophically.The carrier shims set the backlash and the carrier bearing pre-load.The pinion depth and pinoin bearing pre-load is done with another set of shims/crush sleeve in the pinion stack.

it wouold be a good idea for you to find out what your backlash is.....

your pinion depth was not affected, but backlash *may* have changed........

However, you can get lucky on carrier changes sometimes, when i installed a locker on my front axle a while back, there was no backlash adjusment necessary.

Not to sound like a butt, but I suggest you learn some more about differentials before you tackle a full case traction aid like the trutrac. There is much that can go wrong in there and can end up costing a lot of money. I would take it apart and let someone look at it that has some experience, or begin reading and then take it apart and find out if it is in properly with your newly acquired skills. :) _nicko_

If you are not regearing..just changing the diff..you should check the backlash before you disassemble..and make sure the new diff gets set to the same number..Randy's ring&pinion and Reider racing both have good tech info on their web sites to help. At least on a diff only change you dont have to deal with pinion depth...it's like everybody above says..a goof-up will cost you. The "no noise or anything" does sound encouraging though...

A new d30 ring and pinion should have 6-10 thousands backlash I'm not sure for a used set. The shims for the pinion depth are under the bottom bearing race (bearing right behind pinion gear)

dana 30's should be set-up to pull a good pattern at around 6-10 thou, but there's one more step I highly suggest! cause jeepers don't want a backlash that's too far open. I'm no axle expert, but IMHO, dana 30 r&P catastrophies stem from open backlash and carrier flex problems.

tighten up the backlash to around .0035-.005. don't bother pulling a pattern cause it will show "pinion too deep" anyway.

ALL DANA axles I've worked on, including 44's have opened up backlash settings. I've had quite a few dana 30 carriers fall right out, and have had tremendously sloppy backlashes, i've seen as high as .030 on a factory gearset! dana 30 carriers are terrible when it comes to flex.

Yep factory D30 setups just fall right out more often than not.
I must add to Beezil's comment that tightening the backlash may be OK *depending on pattern* as too little backlash will bring the pattern in on the toe of the gear. Not showing pinion too deep, but tuning backlash will run the pattern toward or away from the axleshaft centerline.

Anyway, backlash is optional. Just ask 4 wheel parts, all of their gears I've redone didn't have any. :rolleyes:

Jacobs....

the trick is, this tightening of the backlash is TEMPORARY.

it seems to fall into spec in no time anyway.

I'd rather set up for a tighter backlash and having to be extras cautious for a while (tighter backlash can run a little warmer) and end up where I want to be, than go to all the trouble of hitting the exact spec backlash during set-up, and be disappointed to discover my backlash has fallen out of spec into the sloppy zonE.

Furthermore, having a gearset run a wee bit toward to toe can be a good thing, ESPECIALLY on a jeep. Do to carrier and housing flex which there are amounts of in 30's, to have a gearset run with a wee bit tighter backlash and running slightly in toe, during those moments of "gettin it" increased pressure on the gearset from your motor and all that leverage you are putting on the set trying to go foreward sets that mesh closer to where it needs to go.....Better to fall INTO the sweetspot than out of it.

Maybe you think I'm crazy, I'm reporting on my methods based on what I've seen and tested, first hand......

are you kidding about *no* backlash?

I set up my front 44 to .003-.004 and has since opened up to .007.....

danas are far worse.

I will always set-up danas especially 30's (if someone has a gun to my head and MAKES ME do an r&p job on one)......

open backlash is sooooooo not a good thing!

Back