• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

extended yoke`

generalleexj

NAXJA Forum User
ok everyone this SYE and cv driveshaft thing is going to cost me a bit of money.... around 480 if i were to get the TW ds and the SYE combo from rustys. and that is alot of money for an 18 year old. ive heard about the longer yoke you could buy. could i just get that ? because from what i understand all i would have to do is get a longer one to account for rear axle articulation and it pulling the yoke out. is this true ? or am i completely wrong. if i am then im gonna have a problem cause im putting 2 bb on my 4.5 lift already and i only have a 1 " t case drop. anyway thanks in advance...

matt

generalleexj said:
ok everyone this SYE and cv driveshaft thing is going to cost me a bit of money.... around 480 if i were to get the TW ds and the SYE combo from rustys. and that is alot of money for an 18 year old. ive heard about the longer yoke you could buy. could i just get that ? because from what i understand all i would have to do is get a longer one to account for rear axle articulation and it pulling the yoke out. is this true ? or am i completely wrong. if i am then im gonna have a problem cause im putting 2 bb on my 4.5 lift already and i only have a 1 " t case drop. anyway thanks in advance...

matt

The primary issue that the longer yoke (YJ) addrseses is binding within the yoke at angles. The length increase is negligeable (IIRC it's less then 1/4"). If you do a search, it was covered a fair amount in the last 2 weeks or so and the topic does come up almost every other month.

If you don't have driveline vibes, you don't need to drop the $$ for the SYE yet. any more lift than that and you will likely have vibrations. the "bind" you're hearing about refers to how the driveshaft's "ears" hit the sides of the yoke when your axle is drooping. the YJ yoke has much more room for the ears. What I did, was took the yoke out, and grinded away some metal (with dremel) untill it spun freely at full droop. be carefull doing this however, if you take off more on one side than the other, it will be out of balance

Slip Kid said:
If you don't have driveline vibes, you don't need to drop the $$ for the SYE yet. any more lift than that and you will likely have vibrations. the "bind" you're hearing about refers to how the driveshaft's "ears" hit the sides of the yoke when your axle is drooping. the YJ yoke has much more room for the ears. What I did, was took the yoke out, and grinded away some metal (with dremel) untill it spun freely at full droop. be carefull doing this however, if you take off more on one side than the other, it will be out of balance

Here's a pic of a YJ yoke vs an MJ/XJ yoke, for comparison's sake. The YJ is @5/8" longer, but notice the space between the yoke ears that allows for more articulation:
yjvsmj.jpg

HTH,
Jeff

Back