• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Half Doors?

Confedneck

NAXJA Forum User
anyone have half doors on their XJ? new guy to the forum here, not new to jeeps... thinking about picking up an 89 XJ 4 door 4.0 4x4 from a guy at work, as a next project, and i think i want half doors styled like a TJ half door where they slant at the front, down and then go straight across, on the fronts and follow back and slant up at the rear of the 2nd door... anyone has this setup, id like to see a pic of the doors and how you made the latch work..

Here's a couple pics of mine. They only have the latch on the inside.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I see that Kernel has posted a link to mine.
halfdoor2.JPG

I am doing the other side now, I'm taking photos and getting measurement as I go. Should have more info about how I did it in a couple of weeks. If anyone wants some info before that PM me and I'll try to accommodate.

Daryl

Good ideas guys. I like all of yours, but will do mine like Kernel & Goatman utilizing the interior door lever and deleting the exterior door handle. That is both functional and nice looking. Also with the metal over patching the int door panel and ext skin, you can cut out holes for beverages like Kernel did. Just have to wait for 1/2 price day at pnp to get me a pair to work on. :laugh3:

Troy

your welcome jeonlyep it's a kewl design.

they way i did mine was so you can use your mirrors but there still in the way. richards way would save them..... but the cup holder keeps you favorite soda in your hand. :)

edit: i used the inner latch like richard. it's no harder getting in than an outside latch.... you just use the other had to open. :wierd:

Last edited:
I used motorcycle mirrors. Easy to bolt onto a tab on the inside of the door. I actually cheated......these are Paul Sinclair's old doors that I just finished up.

BrettM said:
soda, riiiiiight.... ;)

of course..... i did notice this one time in the garage that i found a new place to put my beer while working on the rig. don't knock them over anymore. :shhh:

I'm gonna make a set of half doors for my MJ this summer, but I was thinking that it would be cool to cut it so I can attatch the top part of the door like a CJ or wrangler door. I could just use some plexiglass as a window. Then if it starts raining I can just slap the top on and go. Anybody ever thought of this?

jeeppowermj said:
I'm gonna make a set of half doors for my MJ this summer, but I was thinking that it would be cool to cut it so I can attatch the top part of the door like a CJ or wrangler door. I could just use some plexiglass as a window. Then if it starts raining I can just slap the top on and go. Anybody ever thought of this?

Yeah, pretty much everyone who sees my doors suggests that I could add some snap in windows. To me it's more trouble than it's worth, but I guess that depends on where you live. I have a complete set up regular doors for when I want full doors.

Goatman said:
Yeah, pretty much everyone who sees my doors suggests that I could add some snap in windows. To me it's more trouble than it's worth, but I guess that depends on where you live. I have a complete set up regular doors for when I want full doors.

Yeah, it may seem like a waste of time now, but I'm sure there'd be a few times when you're really glad to have them. Ever been caught in a sandstorm?
Here's a few pics:
Picture%20194.jpg

Picture%20198.jpg

Back