• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Commandtrac vs. Selectrac???

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
I'm looking to buy a 99-01 XJ, and just found an 01 Sport with the Selectrac, with allwheel drive available, I think the 242? This will be for my daily driver, and medium trail use, like no bigger than 33's, and likely one rear locker. Is there a reason NOT to get the 242?? is there a difference in tcase/driveshaft length?? Can I get a 4:1 for it? or a SYE?? I like the idea of allwheel drive for the road, but don't want to get screwed when I go to modify it, and find I can't do what I want to it......... I'm putting my trust you XJ guru's...as a long time fourwheeler..........
Thanks in advance,
:D

There is an sye available for the 242. I have heard tale that the 242 (selectrac) is slightly stronger than the 231 (commandtrac). I don't know if that is true or not but I have a 242 and I run 35's and a welded rearend with no problems. As far as the 4:1 I'm not sure.

Neil said:
There is an sye available for the 242. I have heard tale that the 242 (selectrac) is slightly stronger than the 231 (commandtrac). I don't know if that is true or not but I have a 242 and I run 35's and a welded rearend with no problems. As far as the 4:1 I'm not sure.

You got to go wheeling to have problems Neil, :moon:

The 242 isn't quite as strong as a 231 but it's close enough to do the job. (thanks goes to Eagle for setting me straight on that one) ;)
Currie and Tom Woods both sell a SYE for them. I've got the Currie unit on mine.
Tera-low (Tera Manufacturing) sells a 4:1 conversion for the 242.
There is quite a bit of aftermarket stuff available for the 231, but when it comes to the 242, your options are limited, but the basics are there.
BTW, don't confuse the XJ 242 with the 242HD or the 242AMG that comes in the HummVees. These are completely different applications.

Actually, the 231 is supposed to be a little stronger than the 242, but I've not heard of anyone having issues with thier 242. I believe Sean (OnetonXJ) has one in his XJ and nobody wheels harder than him. There are a few SYE kits out there and Tera now makes a 4:1 kit for it but you have to send them your case to do it last I heard.
HTH,
Crunch

Damn, beat by two minutes again. Story of my life:D

I do all my wheelin in mall parking lots like stoney:)

242 ?

You can't go wrong (on a daily driver) using a 242, I have one in my 2000XJ Limited and I love it! I have used it in snow and rain and you hardly know it's even engaged,...except for the fact that you have traction ;) . I also checked the fuel milage (on the trip computer) and found little or no fuel milage penalty at steady speeds.
If you're driving where the roads can go from dry to slick intermittantly (Michigan in winter), you can't go wrong with this system....not a good idea to leave a 231 engaged in this scenario.
Just my .02,

BLUTO :)

The 242 is a great case. The only drawback is the lack of aftermarket parts other than the basics. I would really like a 2-low kit in mine as well as a HD shaft.

"Actually, the 231 is supposed to be a little stronger than the 242, but I've not heard of anyone having issues with thier 242." Crunch

Crunch, Now you have ;)

Moab / Oct 2002 / Double Whammy / Beezil, "One more time Bones, I see the line...".

broke1-vi.jpg

Bones
NAXJA #6

Bones,

I have the little nub you broke off in the garage.....

do you want it back?

I could weld it on your old shaft so you could have a spare!

Bones, you can't post up about failures. I don't care what you have, it's gonna break. Are we going to be rebuilding your tranny on some obscure trail or the picnic table this year? That's the only thing left ya know.

Bart Jacobs ran the 242 in competition also with the hack-n-tap sye. I run the dog wee outta mine and rarely have problems. Sometimes it doesn't want to engage one axle or the other, but a little back and forth with the hand on the lever cures that. Yeah, I'm too lazy to tear into it and replace the wear points.

Personally, I'd run the 231 for the aftermarket support. 2-lo, 4:1, better mainshafts for sye's, blah, blah, blah. It also doesn't hang down as low, creating better ground clearance.

Sean

I don't like 242's, nuked way too many of them. Usually the first thing I do if a new-to-me xj has a 242, is put a 231 in.
But if you insist on running one, tear it down and check the planet gear locating pins. The factory welds crack and the pins will start walking, usually ending up in front axle engagement only in reverse. :rolleyes:
For some reason the chains tend to stretch quicker than the 231's also.

Beezil, "I have the little nub... "
Ya I know, we shared a tent together remember? Nevertheless, if I were you I wouldn't be telling everyone. It should be a "personal problem" that is best kept quiet :rolleyes: .

Actually yes I would like to use the d*mn part for a paperweight, it cost me enough.

OneTonXJ, "Bones, you can't post up about failures. I don't care what you have, it's gonna break."
At least I made it up Double Whammy before I broke. How many pinion yokes are you bringing to Moab this year? ;)

Don't know what the repair-on-site part will be this year, I just hope it doesn't try to out do the last couple of years.

JJacobs, "if you insist on running one, tear it down and check the planet gear locating pins."

Forgot about this one. My first 242 failure was associated with the failure of a pin and the spitting of the planetary gear. At least it didn't go through the bottom of the case as the Hummers do when they blow out :eek:.

Bones

Medium trail use and daily driving? If you add snow to that, get the 242, it is the perfect for that application? No snow? I'd get a 231 and avoid the extra complication.

I have 8" of lift with a 242 and deal with a lot of snow, and I love it. But then again, I don't get out on the trail enough and never rely on the right foot when I do...if I did either of those things, I'd put in a Rubi case or an Atlas II.

Nay

Yup, what Nay said. I think 33's should be the cutoff for a 242 if you wheel hard. Not necessarily based on throttle input, even light-foot wheelers like myself still stretch the chains.
Oh and don't ever put an auto-locker in the front with a 242, full time mode becomes flat-out dangerous.

Back