• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cv double offset type

mwww2000

NAXJA Forum User
Hello I am new to this forum and I am not used to the xjs (I ve been a full size jeeps man for the last 4 years) anyway question is can I rebuild the double offset joint on the front drive shaft or do I have to take it a over priced shop to do it.Also is there any special things I need to know about lifting my 86 cherokee laredo 228 t-case was thinking 3-4 inch .

First off welcome to the forum. You can rebuild the double cardon joint yourself it uses standard U joints so no problem there.

the lift for an 86 is no prob either, I would just recommend a complete kit with springs, shocks, coils and new control arms.

hey,

i posted this same type of question last week and just rebuilt my own front driveshaft yesterday afternoon. it was'nt too bad, you'll need 3 u-joints, spicer 153x's i believe they were and i also replaced the centering ball unit and i got a new tranny mount all for like $110. It came out great and is just as straight forward as replacing any u-joint. Just make sure when you take off the yoke piece at the x-fer case side that you put it back on the same way it was on before so you have less of a chance of throwing off the balance of the shaft. All i used was some vise grips and a flat head to take out the clips and an 11/16" impact socket and 16oz ball been hammer to pound out the u-joints. good luck.

eric

mwww2000 said:
this is the driveshaft with the rubber boot

86' with a "double offset" CV joint with a rubber boot?

Sounds like double speak... ;)

Most (all?) 84-86 units came with a CV style front shaft. It was not double offset, but a CV on one end and a u-joint on the other. Made by GKN.

GKN 101: (ed: Reference info, not to be used in a real life experience)
The GKN shaft is not rebuildable, but is length adjustable. Shaft is good up to 3" lift (if you lengthen the shaft) then it runs out of angular travel. To lengthen the shaft, loosen the nut on the front DS yoke, adjust length (slides), then tighten the nut. When it starts clicking, throw it in the hopper.

Solution:
Get a yoke for the TC and new shaft from an early XJ - you may need to get it shortened.

Caution: If an auto, the pan on the TF904 may come close to the driveshaft. If you get a HD one with a boot (like one of those fancy Tom Woods ones), the boot won't last, just keep it lubed.

See pictures: http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/techindex/TechArticleInx.htm#driveshafts

Lift question:
Nothing special. The 86' will take more lift without worrying about the rear drive shaft or yoke because of the rear shaft being longer. 3-4" of lift is no problem. Remember to re-locate the break lines, or use YJ ones as the stock ones are a tad short with 3-4" lift.

Last edited:
Back