• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Off Brand Winch-Champion Power Equipment?

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
Ok, so if cost was no object, I'd get a Warn. But with the projected infrequent usage, and the tight budget, I'm wondering....
I've seen this as Sam's in the past, and now they have a pile of them sitting in the back in the mark down area. Anyone every heard of Champion Power Equipment?? It's rated at 7500#, but it's only $300! :sunshine: If it won't be used regularly, that seems like a good cost savings? Here is the stats I got off the box.

Champion Power Equipment
7500# winch
roller fairlead
95 ft 5/16 cable
integrated solenoid
0 load- 13 ft/min
4000# load- 8.2 ft/min
snatch block

It seems like a good deal, if it's a decent winch. Any comments????

I would check the Amperage draw and the horsepower rating...But it sounds pretty good for an occassional usage winch.

John

hey speakin of off brand. anyone have experinece with the chicago electric 8000 (299.00) or 9000 lbs(399.00) winches offered by Harbor Frieght Tools. like the champion series they are competitively priced and i'm on a college type budget too.

i have been told the Harbor Frieght ones are basiclly a Ramsey with out the stickers.same internals, same motor .

A) Who do you send it to for service if something goes wrong?
B) What kind of 'warranty' do they offer?
C) How many user-serviceable parts are there?
D) Buy a Warn.

ECKSJAY said:
A) Who do you send it to for service if something goes wrong?
B) What kind of 'warranty' do they offer?
C) How many user-serviceable parts are there?
D) Buy a Warn.

4x4Rockshop.com has a Warn M8000 listed at $680.....this off brand is less than half. I agree that Warn would be my first choice, but for an occassional use winch? $400 is too much to ignore. Anyone ever seen a Champion Power Equipment winch in use?

I had a Harbor Freight winch. Chicago 8000. It worked well with one small glitch. When you ran it a while the solenoid would get hot and quit a while. It was like overheat protection but not on purpose. I have a buddy that has one that does the same thing.

The cable is nice though... and it pulls like a Ramsey.

ECKSJAY said:
It's your money, dude. :wave:
Yup, and unfortunately I've not got much, and the Heep is needing much. I'm not likely to get either winch right now. There are way more important things on my needs list. The winch just looked like too good of a deal to not ask some questions about it.
Thanks for the info.

i have one. i've had it about 6 months. i've only been to hot springs about 4 times since then, but i've used it several times every trip. its slow as he!!, but its never let me down. i broke my rear drive shaft 100 yards into ultimate adventure and it pulled me the rest of the way through without a rest. if i had the money i buy a warn, but at the time it was all i could afford. i've more than gotten my $300 out of it already. everyone will give you shit, but i've never regretted buying mine. if its all you can afford go for it.

p.s. the warn sticker makes it feel better about its self!

a35.jpg

ec3.jpg

8b5.jpg

sarvermr said:

Looks like a big forehead on it. :)

I know I pitch crap, but I sell this stuff for a living...and I see a LOT of folks with these off-brand things have problems. I get MANY calls/folks in store asking about parts for their winches. Just trying to save some headaches later. IMHO that $$ could be better spent on something else first. :)

Back