• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wrangler brake lines???

cardboard

NAXJA Forum User
I've read many peoples posts that say to put Wrangler brake lines on a Cherokee because of the extra 3" of length. Could someone tell me what to ask for at the parts store. When I went today and looked for some they were totally different than what i have know.
Thanx Digger

I got a rear line form a 91-94 wrangler but the fronts I went ahead and got SS ones from Tomken I believe. Here the fronts were $20-$25 apiece and the stainless ones were $60 so I figured get the stainless.

Here is what the YJ brake line looks like:

orig.jpg

Ask your parts guy for all 3 hoses from a '95 Wrangler without ABS. The rear is the same design as the XJ hose, just a couple of inches longer.

On the front, the rubber hose is the same legnth, the steel line that bolts to the caliper is a couple of inches longer. I also straightened the hard line on the body out and remounted it as low as possible to get that last extra inch of droop. This will give you plenty of droop for a "normal" size lift, if you are going crazy then you are on your own.

standard.jpg

I would avoid braided steel brake hoses if at all possible. The are very brittle compared to a $20 rubber hose. I've seen rubber hoses stretched like guitar strings (not on my Jeep though!) and not be damaged, you won't get away with that with a SS hose even once. The braided hoses will tear anything they come in contact up, too.

I would avoid braided steel brake hoses if at all possible. The are very brittle compared to a $20 rubber hose. I've seen rubber hoses stretched like guitar strings (not on my Jeep though!) and not be damaged, you won't get away with that with a SS hose even once. The braided hoses will tear anything they come in contact up, too. [/B]

Isn't that why you buy longer lines anyway...so they don't become stretched.......

The rear can also be replaced with the hose from a 96 4wd Dakota. It's even longer than a YJ hose from what I've heard. It looks the same fitting wise as the stock hose, and when I get the 44 installed tomorrow, I'll know for sure.

Handlebars said:
Yes, Sherlock that is what this topic is about.

I was being sarcastic. Why buy rubber hoses because they can stretch, when you should just be buying the correct size lines in the first place rubber or braided where they will never need to be stretched. Make sense Watson???? I see you said yours don't stretch, but that should not be a factor in buying brake lines because they should NEVER be stretched in the first place.

Sorry about my comment, Gearwhine.

I was hoping that somebody would chime in with some other source for even longer rubber hoses, it looks like bbaker may have come up with something. I do agree with you on selecting the correct legnth of hose and never relying on them to stretch. Sometimes unexpected things happen and the resiliance of the rubber hose can help from making a bad situation worse...

standard.jpg

I should know in a couple of hours, I'm going out to the garage to cut the u-bolts on the D35 now.

Only thing to watch is the rear. The vent tube on c-clip D35 run through the center of the brake hose mount on the axle end. The non c-clip axle has the vent tube seperate from the brake hose. You can make a newer line work, but it's not the best fit.

Well, I have the 44 installed. The Dakota hose is HUGE. I have about 4" lift in the rear (planning on 6-8" this winter) and there is so much hose I might zip tie it to the hard line on the axle to take up some slack. Currently the hose is hanging down so low that it is below the axle tube. How does the vent run through the mount? I've never seen the fitting on a c-clip 35, but the Dakota hose has a 1/2" or so mounting hole that might work for that. All the fittings on my axle and the end of the hard line in the rear used a 3/8" flare nut wrench.

Back