• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 v. GM axle

rideabike

NAXJA Forum User
the 1979 chevy k10 came with either a dana 44 or a gm axle in the front end

im talking to a guy about gettin the front, which i havent seen, so i dunno if it is the d44 or the gm version.
how do i tell the difference
what is interchangeable between the two?

any other info about this situation?
thanks guys

Its probably going to be a GM 10 bolt but Im not positive. Either way, all the GMs are passenger side pinion so unless you are doing a pass side drop t-case or putting new tubes on the axle, this wont work with the stock XJ tcase you have.

Not all the GMs are pass side - but one of that vintage will be. NV241 cased GMs will be drivers side - starting in the mid to late 1980s I think.

The last year for the D44 was either 1978 or 1978 (IIRC). You can look it up for certain at coloradok5.com.

If it is the 10 bolt, that vintage will be 27 spline and not worth a damn.

No parts interchange between the 10B and a D44 (also, IIRC).

r@m

10 bolts have square diff covers dun they?

And as for the 44, search, or ill see if I can come up w/a pic of a 44 cover.

10 bolts have very round diff covers. they have 2 "ears" hanging off the bottom of the housing that makes them easy to spot. lots of parts interchange between 10bolts and D44s, basically all the same from the inner Cs out. the later 10 bolts (late 80s/early 90s) are 30 spline, same as D44s.

go over to www.ck5.com and you will easily find all your answers.

the 79 will be a 10 bolt: http://coloradok5.com/specs.shtml

figure out what diff visually: http://coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

D44:
dana44.jpg

10 bolt:
gm10bolt85in.jpg

Root Moose said:
Not all the GMs are pass side - but one of that vintage will be. NV241 cased GMs will be drivers side - starting in the mid to late 1980s I think.

The last year for the D44 was either 1978 or 1978 (IIRC). You can look it up for certain at coloradok5.com.

If it is the 10 bolt, that vintage will be 27 spline and not worth a damn.

No parts interchange between the 10B and a D44 (also, IIRC).

r@m

actually the knuckles are fully interchangeable. however, you will have to shorten or lengthen the outer shaft, i forget which.

Back