• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE necessary on 4.5" + BB??

olivedrabcj7

NAXJA Member #1384
in case you havent read my thread, im about to start my build up of my most recent purchase, a 97 2 door XJ .im going to run a rustys 4.5" kit with full rear leafs, RE control arm drop brackets, and a 2" bb on top of it all. so i should be sitting somewhere close to 6-6.5" assuming this is a trail only jeep, will it be necessary to get a SYE and CV shaft or can i get away with a t case drop kit and MAYBE some very MINOR grinding on the yokes if they kiss. ???

Yeah you will need one. You will probably get horrendous vibes even if its only a trail jeep. I lifted my 94 with an RE 4.5" superflex kit and I barely made it down the driveway before I noticed vibes. Plus, when you flex the rear or the rear droops, the driveshaft is going to want to pull out of the transfer case. And if it was like mine, I couldnt even hook my driveshaft up until it was back on the ground. So binding will probably be an issue. The SYE and CV will get rid of vibes and give you a more solid, reliable set-up. I was able to eliminate most of my vibes by using shims. I still have light vibes at speed though. I have an SYE and CV shaft sitting in my garage...and I wont wheel the jeep hard until i install it. Im by no means an expert...but if you look around you will see most people recommend doing the SYE and CV. Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress!

Justin

on a 97 i'd say 99%yes you will, you might be the one lucky one, but you wont

should i get the hack-n-tap? or the HD one?

hack and tap is cheaper hd is stronger, make your pick. i'm gonna be going with the h&t myself and i think it will be strong enough. but if money is not an issue then go with the hd

money is most def. an issue.....is there a cheaper way of getting a rear CV shaft besides buying a $300 one from tom woods??

stock front shaft, which i also plan to use. dont know if it will be long enough for 6.5" though. could always get one and have it lengthened. it would still be cheaper than buying a new one. not sure if i would go that route though. it should just bolt up fine on mine which is why i plan to use it

I went with the RE H&T SYE, RE Driveshaft, as well as the RE 4.5" Superflex kit (full spring packs). I had no problems with any part of it. I got a great deal from a RE dealer in my local 4x4 club. Since I installed it all myself there was no labor costs! :)

If you haven't talked to a large RE distibutor yet I would try that route. After I added up the things that RE puts in their kit vs. Rusty's kit. (SS brake lines, bump stops, Quick Disconnects, etc) it was cheaper to just buy it all from RE.

JMHO,
Rough

PS. The guy I bought mine from is Randy from Adventurous4x4. His site is limited to CJ\YJ\TJ stuff so call him and he will give you a great price.

the rustys kit is coming with a set of new SS brake lines, i dont need discos....no swaybars........and im making my own bumpstop extensions.

yes you will need the SYE...
PERIOD! budget acordingly

well i have the EXACT same set up as you with NO SYE OR CV DS. i ahve a 1 inch t case drop. im not saying this is good or im am correct by doing it. i just dont have extra cash and i have NO VIBES. but i do try to stay ON the road until i get it. because i am aware that my yoke may pop out with alot of axle articulation.

scoobyxj said:
Better double check that, Tom Woods
Ive triple checked it... Ive spoken to Tom myself regarding this and here is his email.

Enjoy.
icon_smile_wink.gif

Thank you for considering me for your drive shaft needs. Through the years I have experienced a little bit of a "bad rap" over my refusal to knowingly build a drive shaft intended to run in conjunction with the Rubicon Express slip yoke eliminator. Some people seem to think that I have some sort of personal problem with the company or their people. That, I will assure you is not the case. Personally I have the highest regard for them and almost all of their products.
In addition to liability concerns, my rationales are for what I perceive to be sound mechanical reasons. I will outline them for you here.
1. The method of cutting off, drilling and tapping the output shaft of the transfer case while still in the vehicle, is something that I would neither recommend nor attempt myself. I have seen many shafts ruined in this endeavor.
2. After the shaft has been shortened, you will still have a substantial area of unsupported shaft beyond the rear output bearing. This is not entirely a result of Rubicon Express’s design, but I would also consider this to be a problem on a factory original shaft. The result of this is known as "overhung load." The drive shaft which would install against the modified shaft will weigh about 15 pounds while the factory original drive shaft weighs about 9 pounds. This in itself will nearly double the overhung load. We must also consider that under a load, the drive shaft will have a tendency to want to straighten out. This will also increase the overhung load.
3. You should also understand that in order for the new output flange to install on the output shaft, there must be some minor internal clearance between the splined bore of the flange and the splines on the shaft. Because of this clearance, you will then have the potential for minor independent movement between the flange and the shaft. This independent movement, over time (sometimes a very short time) will wear down the splines on the output shaft and enlarge the splines in the bore of the flange. When this happens, it will, because of the looseness between the parts, allow the flange to run eccentric. This will cause a vibration problem with the vehicle. Most people, upon discovering this problem, will re-tighten the retaining bolt. Unless the output shaft has been cut off perfectly square, this will cause the face of the flange to be less than perfectly perpendicular to the centerline of the output shaft. This will usually cause even a more severe vibration problem. When people have a vibration problem and a drive shaft that I have built, their problem becomes my problem. I see this problem as avoidable and prefer to do so.
With any of the other conversion kits available, there will be a more substantial shortening of the output shaft, reducing the overhung load. Furthermore on any of the other conversions, the rear output flange or yoke is solidly "sandwiched" between the retaining nut or washer and the rear output bearing. This secure attachment will prevent the wearing of the splines on the mating parts. Thus, preventing the problem as outlined above.
May I suggest you consider installing one of the other conversions available for your vehicle? The initial cost differential, I believe to be modest. But the mechanical quality differences are substantial. Ultimately you should find the longevity, performance and strength gains to be well worth the minimal cost and time spent up front. After all "doing the job right the first time" is generally the most cost effective.

Back