• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kind of spring perches to use on MJ

If you try using MJ perches, they'll be upside down. That will make the axle invert itself so the perches are in the proper orientation. When the axle goes over, the Jeep will roll right over with it.

As long as the perches are for a 2.5" wide leaf, you'll be ok. XJ, MJ, YJ (but not TJ), Dakota, S-10, Waggy, whatever. If the axle tube diameter is different, you can grind out the perch some to make it fit.

BrettM said:
a perch is a perch

Not exactly.

The perches on an MJ 44 are cast/solid, where the ones (on an 8.25 anyway) on an XJ are bent metal plate. It's possible one could remove and reuse the OEM MJ...or buy some new from the dealer(Ghost had the part# and they were pretty inexpensive-$15 IIRC-and looked it), but why be cheap on these fairly critical pieces?

When I built my first SOA MJ 44 axle, I used the Rubicon Express (#1930 IIRC) perches, then for the second one I used Mountain Off Road (MORE) pads. The MORE seemed a bit beefier than RE. Both are tons beefier than OEM XJ pieces. FWIW I have MORE perches sitting here for my third MJ 44 axle.

Granted that there are a million XJs running around with OEM perches that hold up just fine... so I doubt there is anything horribly lacking with them, but at least consider the other options, and at the end of the day you can decide if the $15 perches will be up to the task. I sleep lots better at night knowing the MORE perches are on mine :dunno: ;)

Then there is that whole "anti-wrap" thing that comes with the perches being a bit longer than OEM, and the adjustable wheelbase thing that the MORE and RE offer (sure, one could drill offset holes in their thin/short OEM pads if they "had to have" adj.WB)

HTH from someone who has been there a time or two. I'll cut corners if I think it's a good idea. Cutting corners on stuff that attaches my suspension isn't, IMHO

:cheers:

LOL most questions worthy of answering have three possible answers: Yes, No, or Maybe. I sometimes get bored and like to fill in the blanks with a little why & how ;)

It's a sad state of affairs when the hardest I've thought all day was about the merits of various little bent-metal objects.

Back