• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help asap, truck in air

funvtec

NAXJA Forum User
i am currently going over and doing all the maintenance that was neglected over the years and i'm changing the trans filter and fluid
I have the pan off but the dipstick tube is milded in te side of the pan and there is some kind of a splice joint about 6 inches up how do i get it to come apart?? so i can remove the pan completely

also does anyone know off hand what size the drain plugs ar in the transfer case

i have a 90 xj limited

also i just found out by changing my rear diff the tag said i have a dana and i should use limited slip additive. what kind of info is available on this rear end

You just kinda gotta twist and pull the two sections apart. Try spraying some penetrating oil where they join. If it doesnt come apart you can give it some heat but don't heat it up too much cause you don't want to bend it when you take it apart. Also, there is an o-ring in there, so if you do end up heating it, just make sure you get a new o-ring cause it'll probably burn up.

Dean

look in your sevice manual. andy why would anyone start a project like this without first verifying what is needed?

All the trans pans Ive dropped have not had any obstructions in the removal. they jsut came off. I did my 95 last weekend took all of 15 minutes to do. I guess I dont understand your problem

I believe the drain plug is around 1 1/8" but I always jsut use a large adjustable wrench, they are not that tight

You only need to use the additive if you have a LSD in the rear end fi not dot worry about it, if yo do then you can get it at any autoparts store about 2.00 for teh tube

thanks i got the pan down i was hesitant to do a search i got dial up where i'm at

as for the other stuff ???

i was extremely prepared i have everything i need but just never ran into a dipstick like that i have all my filters all my fluids and 1 1/8 doesn't fit i have everything i need just looking for a bit of jeep experience

thanks for your enlightning thoughts

funvtec said:
i was extremely prepared i have everything i need but just never ran into a dipstick like that i have all my filters all my fluids and 1 1/8 doesn't fit i have everything i need just looking for a bit of jeep experience

thanks for your enlightning thoughts

and BTW my service manual HAYNES doesn't mention anything af this sort thanks

The dipstick has an o-ring as has been mentioned previously. While it should pull off easily if you give it a bit of a twist, it may need to be lubed up and the dipstick tube removed to connect it again.

If I grabbed the right socket, I believe it's a 36mm although 1 3/16" rings a bell too. Later ones had a small plug that replaced the oversized ones on our models.

Rear axle is a Dana35? Since it says you need limited-slip additive, you either need to use gear oil with that added already, or the Jeep limited-slip additive that you put in regular gear oil.

Yucca-Man said:
The dipstick has an o-ring as has been mentioned previously. While it should pull off easily if you give it a bit of a twist, it may need to be lubed up and the dipstick tube removed to connect it again.

If I grabbed the right socket, I believe it's a 36mm although 1 3/16" rings a bell too. Later ones had a small plug that replaced the oversized ones on our models.

Rear axle is a Dana35? Since it says you need limited-slip additive, you either need to use gear oil with that added already, or the Jeep limited-slip additive that you put in regular gear oil.

thank you very much it's help like this that makes me want be part of your sport not turn me away because i'm new to this and a bit nieve

xjnation you should take some tips

Funvtec.

I had trouble with the dip stick tube on my 96 also. I could twist it but it wouldn't come appart. The upper section has a tab that's bolted to the bellhousing. After removing that bolt I twisted it 90 degrees and worked the whole thing out. It was a pain and I've been doing this longer then most members have been on this earth!

JoBo

The O-ring in that dipstick joint gets dry and hard. It isn't unusual to trash the upper half of the tube getting it apart. When I did one a couple of years ago I couldn't get the replacement tube and O-ring from my dealer because they had just used the last one they had in stock. Went to a dealer in a smaller town and they had a bunch of 'em. The parts/service manager told me they stock them because they regard them as "consumables" -- they don't even waste time trying to save th old ones.

He told me to lube it with Vaseline when I put it together.

When I did my 87 some years ago, I couldn't get that tube apart. It was rusted solid. I ended up unbolting the top and taking it out whole, then twisted it apart, and put the top section back. A hassle to fish it out with the Jeep on the ground, but doable. It should not be so hard to do if the vehicle is on a lift.

Back