• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rebuilding Ba10/5

AD-8

NAXJA Forum User
ok i went to car quest nd got a rebuild kit for the Ba10/5. does any one have any tips on installing this, or have a step by step guide, possibly with pics? The kit came with a new clutch assembly, clutch disc, release bearing, pilot bushing/bearing, and an alignment tool. Is their anything else i should replace? Also the shift flops around from side to side, what should i do about that?

umm,

i think you may be either a little confused or a little misguided. the items you described aren't a traany rebuild kit but a clutch system.

what symptoms is your jeep showing that made you decide to buy what you did? a little more info would be very helpful in determining what you need to do.

hope this helps,
dan

It's not worth rebuilding. Parts are expensive and its not a nice durable tranny. Many view it as the worth tranny that a jeep had at least in the YJ/XJ from 87-90'. A AX15 or NV3500 would be better and a NV4500 much better. There is lots of info on swapping out the BA10 for a AX15.

well there is alot of clutch slippage, and it sumtimes makes a chirping noise, i hope that explains it,and it is a bit noisy, but that my be due to the fct that it is low on fluid, also this most likely not to do with a clutch, but the shifter flops from right to left when its not engauged in any gear, any idea what that would be? I took it to a mechanic and he recomended i get a new clutch, sorry i didnt mean to say tranny rebuild kit.

Yeah - by the time the BA-10/5 wants a rebuild, the price of parts makes it cheaper just to get an AX15 or maybe an NV3550 if you can find one (I'm looking...)

The kit you got doesn't do anything internal to the transmission - just the clutch assembly.

One problem with the clutch on the BA-10/5 is the internal slave cylinder - it seems to want to spring leaks. Leaking internal slave = wet clutch = chatter and slippage.

More information on the "side to side" bit - I know the shifter in my 88 is pretty sloppy (240Kmiles) but the mount is still sound and everything's bolted up tight. Crawl under and make sure that all four bellhousing bolts are up tight, and that all six (total) of the transmission pad bolts are still tight. Also make sure that the pad hasn't softened - but it's expensive, so be advised.

5-90

when i said it flops from right to left i meant all the way, i dont know if its some sort of spring or somthing but i hope its not serious. Its kindve hard to find 3rd and 4th somtimes.

I'll try to be more specific. When your not shifting there is supposed to be some sort of tension to center the shifter, but there is no tension at all. It goes all the way left and all the way right, with no opposing force to bring it back to the center. It doesnt fall out of gear or anything like that, it has no adverse effect, except for the fact that its annoying. Any other ideas?

Thanks everyone

I swapped in an AW4 auto when my BA10/5 had 150k miles on it, solved all my shifter problems........2 feet, 2 pedals...simple math.

Back