• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belt Tesion adjustment

JohnJeepHolland

NAXJA Forum User
I changed the belt on My 1988 4.0 laredo but do not have the belt tension measure tool. Is there a way to hand tension the belt? I think I have put to much tension because at about 1200 r.p.m. it skreeks...(ehh...makes a soft screeming sound). I will try to losen the tension and see/hear the results again but wold like to hear from one of you what the best method will be to adjust first.....

I believe the test is to grap the serp belt in the middle of the horizontal run from the power steering pulley over towards the water pump and twist. If you can twist it more than 1/4 turn (i.e.[/]the portion in your hand stands verical) the belt is too loose. Squealing is not caused by the belt being too tight -- it is slipping because the belt is too loose.

Autozone sells a cheap tool for measuring serp. belt tension, just pick one up and look in the manual for how tight it should be.

Most people who think they have 90lbs of pressure are really closer to 50lbs. I have one of those kriket ones from NAPA, curious about the one from autozone though, the kriket is very small and hard to use for my sized hands.

Well, that's a quick answer. I am going for the 1/4 turn, here in europe its not that easy to get this special tool on a saterday afternoon. It's still morning at your site of the world, so thanks again for your advice and have a nice (jeep) day.
greetings, John.

Eeehhh Eagle, that's a long time ago we first communicated together. It was on sunday 24-2-02. Without your help my Jeep would not be driving. It was the differential revision, remember?
See that you still doing a good job. Nice meeting you again.

John --

Yes, of course I remember. Welcome back -- I hope you will become a regular participant on our forums.

what i normally do is locate the longest free portion of the belt meaning the largest distance on the belt between two pulleys which in the xj's case is the section between the P.S. pump and the water pump i believe. I tighten it and if i can push the belt down more than 1" its too loose, if you can push it down just under about an inch than your good. Nothing has to be exact here just dont' get it too tight or else your start wearing your belt driven accesories out really fast and dont' get it too loose or else they wont' even turn, or it will squeel.

Eric

Thanks Eric,
after a good night rest i will start to work on it as soon as i finish my coffee.
Eagle, I envy you all, living in Jeep country with all the sparepart shops around the corner. And yes I would like to visit more regular.
In fact I would like to live around your corners to.....
but stil has to go 10 years to retirement. Than i will visit the USA again etc. etc.

Back