• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is A Long Travel Front Drive Shaft Needed?

MontanaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am running the DPG 5" lift, which includes the drop brackets, on my '99 Sport AW4 NP231. The front drive shaft is pulled out further at the slip than stock when on level ground, obviously. With the dramaticly increased flex of the lift kit, and with sway bars disconnected, what is the risk of pulling my front shaft apart? Should I get an aftermarket long travel shaft in the front?

Thank you for your help.

Greg

well not to say it is good but i ran the stock front shaft on 8 inches of lift and never pulled it out.i had to put like 3 inches back into a front shaft to make it right.you should be able to get away with it for a bit before noticing a problem.namely the slip yoke will start to have problems and the hole in the yoke will oblong causing a vibration.ithink it's anything over 6 and it is recomended to get a new front shaft

It's not the travel of the slip yoke, it's the overall length of the drive shaft. That is, you get a long travel drive shaft, you just a longer drive shaft.
I also ran over 8 inches of lift with the D-30 and stock D/S. Changed D/S because of the D-44, not necessarily the performance of the stock shaft.
I also think you will be fine.

MontanaXJ said:
I am running the DPG 5" lift, which includes the drop brackets, on my '99 Sport AW4 NP231. The front drive shaft is pulled out further at the slip than stock when on level ground, obviously. With the dramaticly increased flex of the lift kit, and with sway bars disconnected, what is the risk of pulling my front shaft apart? Should I get an aftermarket long travel shaft in the front?

Thank you for your help.

Greg

You'll be fine. With the link suspension the axle actually moves rearward as it droops negating any need for a longer driveshaft, or one with more travel. At one point I had to shorten my front shaft one inch because it was bottoming out the slip yoke at full droop.

Back