• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC compressor....

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
bearing noise. It only does this when the AC is off. What do I have to do to fix this? Could it be done with the pressure in the system? I know I need a puller for the pulley for starters, What other tools and parts do I need to get? :repair:
TIA

techno1154 said:
bearing noise. It only does this when the AC is off. What do I have to do to fix this? Could it be done with the pressure in the system? I know I need a puller for the pulley for starters, What other tools and parts do I need to get? :repair:
TIA

Looking at the 95 FSM, it appears you need special tools for this, though you might be able to fake it if you're clever. The clutch plate is held on by a bolt, which requires a special spanner to hold the pulley still while you loosen the bolt. A puller then threads into the clutch plate to pull it off. Then off come the shaft key and shims. Under that, there is an external snap ring, which you must remove, and then it calls for a special puller that engages with the snap ring groove, and which includes a shaft protector as well. Then off comes the pulley. These parts are reinstalled with a set of installers as well. The pulley is pushed on with a special installer that threads into the shaft, and the clutch plate with a fitted driver.

This whole operation can supposedly be done with the compressor still pressurized and connected to the lines, but dismounted so it is tipped up for access to the pulleys.

I'm guessing here, but it looks as if you might manage without the special tools if you're careful. To begin with, I'd loosen the clutch plate nut before loosening the belt, if necessary hot-wiring the clutch on to hold it all from turning. You might be able to use a steering-wheel puller, or similar puller, to get the clutch off. Or, alternatively, it might be a standard sort of cheap puller, since AC compressors are somewhat standardized. Next, for the pulley itself, it may or may not be all that tightly on. If it is very tight, you'll have trouble. It might be worthwhile finding out if any local rental businesses, AutoZones, etc. have the correct pullers for rent. This would certainly make it easier.

By the way, Im assuming here that you've listened carefully to the noise, and confirmed that it really is coming from the AC pulley bearing. It sounds likely enough, but I'd get a stethoscope to it just to be sure anyway.

Thanks Matthew.
It seem to be a bit complicated based on the explanation given. I will think about it for a few days before I attempt to dismantle it.
The noise do come from the AC compressor. What make it more strainge is the fact that the noise goes away completely when the compressor is energised.

Back