• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Relocating Shock Mounts (rear)

HoodRichXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've got my XJ D44 rear torn apart and im ready to relocate the shock mounts and then repaint. But my question is what have y'all down when shaving these, cut the old one off and the cut the bar out and weld it directly up on the tube? This might be a wack question but i did SEARCH and didnt find what i was looking for, just want to get all this done one time and right. thanks steve

HoodRichXJ said:
I've got my XJ D44 rear torn apart and im ready to relocate the shock mounts and then repaint. But my question is what have y'all down when shaving these, cut the old one off and the cut the bar out and weld it directly up on the tube? This might be a wack question but i did SEARCH and didnt find what i was looking for, just want to get all this done one time and right. thanks steve

I used the JKS ones.Go here http://www.jksmfg.com/fab_parts.htm and look for
Shock Mount, Rear Axle (weld on) :peace:

I am in the process of building a D44 for myself. I cut my brackets off, shortned them and welded them on higher up; in fact three inches higher.

Just my opinion...

I bought the Rocky Road Outfitters mounts and had them welded into place. You don't have to mess around with bolts, and tapping and cutting and all such stuff. PLUS I'll NEVER have to deal with bolts and mounting pins again. (Cost me $25 for the body shop to prep and weld em up. Less than 30 minutes.)

Not knocking the JKS stuff, just think for the price ($24) the RRO solution welded is a better and more final one.

home depot or any other hardware store has what u need it is called a bolt!!!
just go to the store grab a bolt that is big enough to just squeze in the rubber bushing and weld the head to the axle tube. that's what i did on my 8.8 in the summer and it has worked perfect so far. may others have done just this as well. save yourself the money on a set of custom shock mounts. and spend it on something that makes a difference like a cool sticker hahah

bj-666 said:
home depot or any other hardware store has what u need it is called a bolt!!!
just go to the store grab a bolt that is big enough to just squeze in the rubber bushing and weld the head to the axle tube. that's what i did on my 8.8 in the summer and it has worked perfect so far. may others have done just this as well. save yourself the money on a set of custom shock mounts. and spend it on something that makes a difference like a cool sticker hahah
That's the slacker way to do it...Do it right the first time and get yourself some shock mounts. I also used the JKS mounts.

Hickey said:
Cheese and rice! 34 bucks for those shock mounts? That is about $3 in steel right there. :puke:
I didn't pay that much for mine, but for those of us who don't have any "Fab" skills, it's done, it's done right, and it doesn't look like it was Southern engineered.

Overpriced stuff like that is why I learned mah self some fabrimication skillz. I say, if ya gotta pay a guy to weld those on anyway, just show your weldor a pic of those and ask him to make some for ya.

Hickey said:
Cheese and rice! 34 bucks for those shock mounts? That is about $3 in steel right there. :puke:
Hmmm inflation? They seem to have went up $6 in price since JKS took them over.
In any case, they are a nice setup, but at this price they are a bit expensive. Another way to do it is to buy a spring perch (one) and cut it in two. Then you weld it up kind of sideways (more or less at 90* angle to your regular perch depending on your angles) and drill it for the bolt. In any case, to use a spring perch you don't have to have too much in fabbing skills (just be able to cut it in two and drill one hole in each :D)

Kejtar said:
Another way to do it is to buy a spring perch (one) and cut it in two. Then you weld it up kind of sideways (more or less at 90* angle to your regular perch depending on your angles) and drill it for the bolt. In any case, to use a spring perch you don't have to have too much in fabbing skills (just be able to cut it in two and drill one hole in each :D)
Great idea. To improve on it, get a trailer spring perch and cut it in half. They would be much smaller than a regular spring perch.

Hickey said:
Great idea. To improve on it, get a trailer spring perch and cut it in half. They would be much smaller than a regular spring perch.

Yeah, that's a good idea, although with the regular perch you can "adjust" it to size. In any case, I hate to say it but if you do a seach this topic has been covered quite a few times.

Rocketman said:
Just my opinion...

I bought the Rocky Road Outfitters mounts and had them welded into place.

Where did you find RRO shock/axel relocation brackets from?I've never seen them at RRO.

Rocketman said:
You don't have to mess around with bolts, and tapping and cutting and all such stuff. PLUS I'll NEVER have to deal with bolts and mounting pins again. (Cost me $25 for the body shop to prep and weld em up. Less than 30 minutes.)

Not knocking the JKS stuff, just think for the price ($24) the RRO solution welded is a better and more final one.

I don't understand, are you sure we are talking about the same thing?It sounds more like you are describing bar pin eliminators :confused1

$7 Ford shock mounts from the dealer. I just bought a set 3 weeks ago.

you have a ford 8.8, why wouldn't you just run to the dealer and get ford 8.8 mounts?? :lecture:

$34 for mounts... those were the gold plated model, right?

oh yeah.. Rich, you could probably do the same thing with a set of mopar/ford/GM mounts.. you may have to take a flapper disc to the inside radius to open them up some but 5 mins of work as opposed to a small fortune for a set of mounts seems worth it.

One thing to keep in mind is when I did mine, I cut and rewelded the stock mounts about even with the center line of the axle. The problem I came across is that I couldn't get shocks that go short enough and extend long enough. I don't want to have to limit up travel just to keep from bottoming out my shocks, as well as I don't want lose droop. If I had the mount down a little more (2 inches) I would have had more choices in shocks.

My .02

Daryl

formatt said:
$7 Ford shock mounts from the dealer. I just bought a set 3 weeks ago.

you have a ford 8.8, why wouldn't you just run to the dealer and get ford 8.8 mounts?? :lecture:

$34 for mounts... those were the gold plated model, right?

Do you have a part number for those? What diameter housing do they fit? Thanks!

I'm trying to find a few different options for mine... the JKS is obviously one of the most readily available options... But what other companies or off road shops make these? and guarantee they'll mount up to the diameter of the XJ axle...

anyone know where the heck to find the RRO version? I cant find it.

the only other one i've found so far is on this page at the bottom....
http://www.mountainoffroad.com/catalog/ShockConvMt/convmnts.htm

Back