• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie Question

azdesertrhino

NAXJA Forum User
I'm doing my first mod to my 90 XJ. Installing front tow hooks. The question is about some OEM stuff though! :repair: There is cardboard/fiberboard OEM "shields" or whatever you want to call them under the front of the engine etc. They have been torn up, soaked with fluids etc. over the years. Do they actually serve an important function or am I safe to remove them. I'm going to start picking up skid plates, rock rails etc in the near future but in the meantime should I try to salvage this stuff or ?:explosion

Thanks in advance,

Jim

Are you talking abouit the rubber splash guard right under the front of the engine? Obviously, it is designed to help keep crap out of the enging compartment, but I have not had one in years. Yeah, the engine compartment will get more dirt in it, but that damn thing is a pain when you are working near it. I am not sure we are talking about the same thing, but it sounds right. I have never had any problems I could attribute to not having it installed.

Oh, was that rubber? Yea, it's under the power steering pump, kind of connected to the very bottom of the fender flares. It's going away on this XJ. :laugh3: It is a pain, in the way every time I made a move today! Just bought this XJ, My other Jeep was a CJ. It didn't have any fancy features, like windows and stuff. Thanks for the help. Expect more dumb questions BUT I do search the forum first.

Back