• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.5L timing chain tensioner ?

Jeff in VA

<---respect
Do you have to drop the oil pan on a 2.5L to remove/install the chain tensioner? I need to replace the timing set on my MJ (tapping sound emanating from inside the timing cover) and have to order parts including a new tensioner....wondering if I should also order a pan gasket?
Anybody have any tips/advice?
TIA,
Jeff

yes you need to remove the oil pan, it bolts from the bottom up to the timing chain. I just did mine last week. I reused the stock (larger rubber) pan gasket instead of replacing it with the little crappy cork gasket that AutoZone sold me.

When removing accessories to remove the cover, be sure to put the correct bolts with the correct accessories - it gave me a lot of trouble trying to figure out what went with alternator/PS pump, etc.

You'll also have to remove the starter & flywheel dust cover to drop the pan down.

jfiscus said:
yes you need to remove the oil pan, it bolts from the bottom up to the timing chain. I just did mine last week. I reused the stock (larger rubber) pan gasket instead of replacing it with the little crappy cork gasket that AutoZone sold me.

When removing accessories to remove the cover, be sure to put the correct bolts with the correct accessories - it gave me a lot of trouble trying to figure out what went with alternator/PS pump, etc. other than that it was pretty easy, just don't lose the key off the camshaft when you replace your timing gears (if you're doing that too).

You'll also have to remove the starter & flywheel dust cover to drop the pan down.

Thanks for the info. Did you have any signs of a loose chain (noise) that led you to change yours? I'm not 100% sure it's the chain but the clacking sound I hear when it's warm is loudest from the cover area when I checked it with a mech stethescope. I'm going to tear it down and see what condition the chain and tensioner are in. It's got 160K on it, but doesn't get driven too much these days...
Jeff

Um..no actually you don't need to take the pan off. We just did one a few months ago ('87 MJ 2.5). You do need to take the front two pan bolts out but the pan does not need to be removed.

tchase said:
Um..no actually you don't need to take the pan off. We just did one a few months ago ('87 MJ 2.5). You do need to take the front two pan bolts out but the pan does not need to be removed.
What he said.

Yup, '87 MJ...that's what I gots. Funny thing is another MJ puled along side of me at a stoplight awhile back and had the same exact clacking sound as mine, and it was a 2.5 (in about the same condition as mine LOL). The guy wasn't too talkative, and I didn't find out how many miles he had on his rig, but we were both suffering the same symptoms.
Anyways, thanks for the info guys. I'm going to tear into it soon and see what's going on.
Jeff

Back