• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best VALUE D44 selectable locker?

Red97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK 44 guys, I think I got my hands on a 44... will know for sure sunday. I must have a selectable locker, wanna stay away from ARB.

I am calling VALUE as all of these in no order:price, quality, drability, ease of install, ease of any fine tuning needed, etc.

What else should I be asking? I run 32" tires, have a 97, so I think the front HP30 is ok. What do you guys think, may lock it as well with same locker?

my 8.25 is going to a buddy.... one reason to get rid of is not electric lockers or OX.

Thanks a bunch guys!
Jason

xjnation said:
ARB the best, oh yeah you would like less than that ,,,,, OX locker then and none of em are cheap, try a wanted ad on Pirates 4x4 board

No doubt. Ox = nice product, but wishy washy company. Not sure I'd want to purchase something that came from a place that keeps going out of business. E-locker = too new to really 'trust' it yet, IMHO. There are so many ARB lockers out there that of course you're going to hear of problems. Same goes for anything reputable produced in volume. It's inevitable that some things will have their occasional issues. We sell hundreds of these units and the only problem I've seen with ARB's lockers is a dead compressor relay every so often, which technically isn't a locker problem. ;)

ive been seroiously considering the eaton e-locker

ECksjay- I'm in the same boat as the OP. Please drop me a PM with your price for a D44 ARB....

OK, please take this reply as still ASKING a question, not arguing!

I run a 10lb co2 tank, so I don't want to run an on board air, and I would hate to loose my locker on a long wheeling trip cause I filled up to many tires.

My other main concern is that I have heard of guys who always have problems with the air tube INSIDE the diff and it needs replaced. Is that less common than I thought? I want to be ripping that off 2 or 3 times to "get it right".

The last is, I assumed (perhaps wrong) that an electric will be cheaper to buy... especially when you consider buying an air compressor!

I know the rubicon comes with an air locker, but its not an ARB. Since the factory is using it, is it more durable and more affordable? Is it available aftermarket? I would not consider it (being air) unless it was ALOT less.

Thanks guys,
Jason

Red97XJ said:
OK, please take this reply as still ASKING a question, not arguing!

I run a 10lb co2 tank, so I don't want to run an on board air, and I would hate to loose my locker on a long wheeling trip cause I filled up to many tires.

My other main concern is that I have heard of guys who always have problems with the air tube INSIDE the diff and it needs replaced. Is that less common than I thought? I want to be ripping that off 2 or 3 times to "get it right".

The last is, I assumed (perhaps wrong) that an electric will be cheaper to buy... especially when you consider buying an air compressor!

I know the rubicon comes with an air locker, but its not an ARB. Since the factory is using it, is it more durable and more affordable? Is it available aftermarket? I would not consider it (being air) unless it was ALOT less.

Thanks guys,
Jason

I have only seen internal problems with the ARB when some one applies too much air pressure to it. breaking the internal orings.

In 6 years of using and installing ARB's Ive never seen the tube break except from sme moron forcing it around

I ran a 2 week trip on my co2 setup and filled up the tires many times and still had at least 50% of the tank full. 15# tank. Also remember that you only need to fill the tires to a safe highway pressure till you can get to a gas station and top off the tires.

I ran a co2 setup in my XJ for over 5 years, I was the first on NAXJA to do it back in the day. I also used a 20oz paintball co2 tank as back up that I stored unde the back seat, jsut in case. you can run the ARB for about 500 shifts on a 20oz co2 tank.

to get it right? the instructions tell you where to exactly drill the hole for the air fitting you have one chance to get it right.

It can be off by about an inch and still be fine

You are wrong again the electrics are higher cost and more prone to break down.

ECKSJAY said:
No doubt. Ox = nice product, but wishy washy company. Not sure I'd want to purchase something that came from a place that keeps going out of business.

I don't know were you got that info from but OX is one of my sponsors and I can assure you they never went out of business. they started from a aeronatical space company. They are still in business.

dollar for dollar the OX is the best buy. You get a heavy duty cover a selectable locker that does not need a 300dollar compressor to operate. My money is on the OX have them in all my rigs. I also sell alot of them and never have any complaints. I have had complaints on the ARB. I would not recomend the Eaton locker they have the most problems.

I was given a recommendation of an Aussie locker. Any input there?

Anyway, on to my main question. Since the topic of ARB was brought up...

I am working on my OBA set up. Don't know why, but I was going to put in two air tanks. How tough would it be to work the ARB's off of my system? Or possibly regulate one of the tanks specifically for the ARB?

Thank you

rockreadyxj said:
I don't know were you got that info from but OX is one of my sponsors and I can assure you they never went out of business. they started from a aeronatical space company. They are still in business.

So where did they go for a while...just a huge backorder?

:wierd:

What Problems have you heard of with the Eaton? I have one in my HP44 and have been anything but nice to it since installing it. It locks and unlocks faster and quiter than the ARB's in our other rig. Besides, its easier to fix a wire than an air line if you happen to damage it.

cyrus said:
What Problems have you heard of with the Eaton? I have one in my HP44 and have been anything but nice to it since installing it. It locks and unlocks faster and quiter than the ARB's in our other rig. Besides, its easier to fix a wire than an air line if you happen to damage it.

I have heard and see problems with the locking mech. I have only put one in with no complaints.

what about some of the other electric lockers?

Since there seems to be a question about prices, what is the lowest you have seen an ARB, lowest for an OX, lowest for electric??????

Please consider with the ARB pricing to include the required regulators and what not that will be needed with my CO2 tank.

ECKSJAY said:
Ok, then to narrow this down...how long have you been getting them? ;)

About five or six years now. Then shop I used to work for sold them too but I do not how long he was selling them before I was there. You can check with the state of florida's depatment of taxation. they will have a record if you really must narrow it down. but I think what you are reffering to was not them going out of busines. They Had changed there phone number a few years back because of a problem with 4wheel parts wholesalers. if you really want to know I can explain it to you. but not on a public forum

I run 2003 Rubicon Truloc Air lockers.
The rear is a Gear limited slip till you lock it in.
They operate at only 5 - 7 Psi.
There are no seals to wearout.

I'm VERY happy with my setup!
The Rear locker cost me $550 and the front was $500. I bought them from Mr. Rubicon on e-bay brand new in factory mopar packaging.
The Rubicon Airpumps are very easy to use, there is a ground wire, a positive for enguagement, and another positive (pink wire) that feeds back to a light letting you know your locker is enguaged. The pump cost me $110 in 03' and was well worth it.

You just got to remember they are not designed to enguage at speeds above 3 to 4 MPH. I enguage the rear on the highway with no problems, but they should only be enguaged at slow speeds.

All the computer lockout and control is eliminated. instead, a switch for each on that dash with a light indicating enguagement for both.

I blew 3 teeth off my ring gear and had to still use 4 wheel to get out from where I was, I feared the locker was funked! last week I pulled it apart and there were shavings everywhere but I could see no signs of wear. Everything still works beautifly!

And BTW.... My rear axle is out of an 88' cherokee and installation was a little tricky but not anything the average gear installer can't handle.
One of the carrier bearing caps needs a notch in the center to allow the airline room. The airline was run out the top of the rear cover.
You just need to use RUBICON THICK gears and Rubicon install kit.

Ok.... Well, I gotta go put in my axles for Jeep Safari!
Let me know if you have any questions. Peace!

XJRubicon said:
I run 2003 Rubicon Truloc Air lockers.
The rear is a Gear limited slip till you lock it in.
They operate at only 5 - 7 Psi.
There are no seals to wearout.

I'm VERY happy with my setup!
The Rear locker cost me $550 and the front was $500. I bought them from Mr. Rubicon on e-bay brand new in factory mopar packaging.
The Rubicon Airpumps are very easy to use, there is a ground wire, a positive for enguagement, and another positive (pink wire) that feeds back to a light letting you know your locker is enguaged. The pump cost me $110 in 03' and was well worth it.

You just got to remember they are not designed to enguage at speeds above 3 to 4 MPH. I enguage the rear on the highway with no problems, but they should only be enguaged at slow speeds.

All the computer lockout and control is eliminated. instead, a switch for each on that dash with a light indicating enguagement for both.

I blew 3 teeth off my ring gear and had to still use 4 wheel to get out from where I was, I feared the locker was funked! last week I pulled it apart and there were shavings everywhere but I could see no signs of wear. Everything still works beautifly!

And BTW.... My rear axle is out of an 88' cherokee and installation was a little tricky but not anything the average gear installer can't handle.
One of the carrier bearing caps needs a notch in the center to allow the airline room. The airline was run out the top of the rear cover.
You just need to use RUBICON THICK gears and Rubicon install kit.

Ok.... Well, I gotta go put in my axles for Jeep Safari!
Let me know if you have any questions. Peace!
wow. those sound pretty durable. so i was wondering; who makes those lockers. do you know if they're the same things <make, type>that are on the powerwagons?

I've never had any issues with the Eaton E-locker and I've never heard of anyone else having trouble with them either. I've had it installed for about 4 months now on my D44 rear and it has been nothing but dependable. Only cost me about $565 and it included all the wiring and switch. Locks and unlocks quickly and quietly. Highly recommended!

Back