• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2" Lift Need Advice

AngryDog

NAXJA Forum User
OK, I want to do a small lift on my 89 XJ. I have 2" lift blocks for the rear and was looking into diffrent coil springs for the front. What coil spring will give me a 2" lift in the front? (Ford, Dakota, ect)

Oh man, asking a question like this one? Expect the flame to start flyin'. :D
I think a nice spring for that would be stock ZJ V8 springs. They usually yield about 1.5", but combine them with a short spacer, and you have some nice riding springs for cheap. You can pick them up new for a pretty reasonable price. You might want to toss those rear blocks though, they are a bad idea. Adding another stock main leaf (with the eyes cut off) to your packs will give you about 1.5". Combine that with a 1" lift shackle and you're good to go. Here's a couple of good links for ideas and light reading:
Ed A. Stevens' Page
Rock Lizard Budget Boost

Beej.

yeah.. blocks will cause the springs to sag pretty quickly. Adding leaves often is a good way to go. So far as gettting new coils, you should be able to pick up a spacer for about 30 bucks. There's not much advantage to getting a pair of ZJ springs so far as flex goes, and teh time it takes to replace the coil and buy the new coils you may be better off just throwing in a pair of spacers.

ZJ springs give a little lift, coil spacers work well, and you can stack the stock coil isolators getting about 1/2" from each one.

in the rear, don't use blocks, use leafs from other vehicles mixed in. Dakota, S10 and MJ Comanche leafs seem to be the favorites, they are all 2.5" wide and have lots of arch.

AngryDog said:
OK, I want to do a small lift on my 89 XJ. I have 2" lift blocks for the rear and was looking into diffrent coil springs for the front. What coil spring will give me a 2" lift in the front? (Ford, Dakota, ect)

Ditto on the blocks! They will twist up your already twisty rear springs and make them worse. The best way is to add a leaf and it'll make your springs more resistant to axlewrap while adding lift. Why not get some coil spacers for the front?

FUNKYTEE5

imo, dont get the coil spacers(at least not the big ones) i recently installed them on top of my 3 inch rustys coil springs and the ride is really stiff. and has no give especially on the rutted up roads here in SE mich. get full coil springs they ride much better. i just ordered a pair of 4.5 -5 inch front springs so i can take them pucks out. as for the rear like everyone said..blocks are not cool. get springs. my buddy used, s-10 springs and got some nice lift out of em w/ extended shackles.just my .02 cents...

Grifter144 said:
imo, dont get the coil spacers(at least not the big ones) i recently installed them on top of my 3 inch rustys coil springs and the ride is really stiff. and has no give especially on the rutted up roads here in SE mich. get full coil springs they ride much better. i just ordered a pair of 4.5 -5 inch front springs so i can take them pucks out. as for the rear like everyone said..blocks are not cool. get springs. my buddy used, s-10 springs and got some nice lift out of em w/ extended shackles.just my .02 cents...

I dunno about big coil spacers? But the whole point is to retain the same ride as factory (at least for 2.5" and under) I can't figure how coil spacers can make the ride stiffer? It don't make sense. Maybe if your control arms are highly angulated? Otherwise it's not an issue with 3" or smaller lifts. I've got 2" spacers/stock coils on my DD and it rides no different from stock :)

FUNKYTEE5

Grifter144 said:

I dunno about big coil spacers? But the whole point is to retain the same ride as factory (at least for 2.5" and under) I can't figure how coil spacers can make the ride stiffer? Maybe if your control arms are highly angulated? Otherwise it's not an issue with 3" or smaller lifts. I've got 2" spacers/stock coils on my DD and it rides no different from stock :)

FUNKYTEE5

Back