• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Herculiner For Interior

Mich88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was considdering pulling the carpet and laying down Herculiner in my Cherokee. I was wondering if anyone has done this and had pictures of it, or at least could tell me how much it takes, so that I can decide if I have the money or not.

a few years ago on my other XJ (RIP) i did this same thing. I don't remember if it was herculiner or durabak but what ever it was it came in a kit for about $80 i think it was, it was like a gallon or so of the stuff, brushes, rollers, a tray and some other stuff too maybe, but it was plenty to do the whole entire interior including the trunk with 2 coats. Held up very strong and never chipped or scratched. In the summer it got a little bit hot in the cabin from the heat coming off the trans hump, the stuff served its purpose though.

Later,

Eric

Yep I did it and I used the crappy Duplicolor Walmart stuff:banghead:

You will need about a gallon to do 2-3 coats of the whole floor. It really does depend on prep work. Expect to spend more time prepping than actual painting.

Don't go cheap or you will regret it.

The best part is that I just hose out my interior to clean it.

FatXJ said:
Yep I did it and I used the crappy Duplicolor Walmart stuff:banghead:

Whats so bad about the duplicolor stuff i got some for christmas and still havent put it in. just wondering what kind of problems you hade with

Okay FatXJ, I won't have time to do it before I come up for the summer, so can I do it at your house? By the way, about the floor getting hot, couldn't you put a heat reflecting shield blanket on the undercarriage like they did in a recent (last month?) issue of either four wheeler or Petersons 4 wheel?

ive used herc on my 88 just a couple of weeks ago. i only went as far as behind the front seats. its a dd so did not have time for the whole thing at once. but it will be done soon. super easy to apply and looks professional.
fletch- what are those snazzy blue wires along the trans tunnel?

I just finished mine last week. I yanked all of the carpetting, wire brushed, cleaned and primed all the rust bubble and surface rust. I had one huge hole under the rear seat, patched and Bondo'd the crap out of that and primed. I only light primed the good areas to use up the can.

I have 1 thick coat on so far and used 32oz of it to do the floors and my rockers outside while I was at it. I kept the foam insullation up front on the fire wall because there wasn't any rust under it and my floor mats keeps it down.

herc

did mine last summer. It does get HOT in the floor. I put some thick fllor mats down, which helped a lot. Now I can hose out the inside. Prep takes twice the time of painting. good luck! dave

I completely covered the floor of mine 93 with Herculiner about a year and a half ago. I'll echo what's been said above - prep time is at least double the actual application time. Don't rush the prep, though, because that's what will give you a quality, long-lasting job. Follow the label directions carefully, including having plenty of Xylene (the special solvent used to keep the urthane in suspension, and used for cleanup) and cleanup supplies at hand. Ventilation is key - that stuff will fry your brain cells pretty quickly. You'll also likely have that odor last for a week or perhaps two as the xylene evaporates and the product cures.
I'm real happy with mine - if you can live with more heat transfer through the floor, and a higher ambient noise level, you prolly will be too.

Mich88XJ said:
Okay FatXJ, I won't have time to do it before I come up for the summer, so can I do it at your house?

Yeah I have to redo mine pretty soon and I just did a toyota today so feel free to to kill my grass!

As for the Dupli-color stuff it really just doesn't work that well. I used the stuff in the spray can on my doors and rockers and it's holding up great but the roll on stuff is peeling and doesn't take much to put a scratch in it. I probably should have spent more time prepping it but I also have heard similar complaints from others who have used it.

I also did mine. I have a 96 and I did the floor boards and the rocker panels with one gallon. The kit cost me about $100. Which is way cheaper than Linex. they was going to charge me $400. I have had it for about a year and I love it. The only thing is that the floors in the back over the muffler get a little warm. Warm enough to melt plastic at times. but well worth it still.

Back