• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Mount

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
My tranny mount is gone and it's time for a new one, so I figured I'd upgrade. I read somewhere a while back that the upgraded polyeurethane ones lifted the tranny up an inch or so. Is this true? Which tranny mounts would you guys recommend? It's a standard transmission if that makes a difference.

I haven't tried one, but a guy on ebay was selling his and said that the poly mount let you feel every vibe that the trans put out. I have poly motor mounts and they are very stiff. Sure, they are tough but you got to put up with the vibes.

I recently replaced my tranny and motor mounts. I would recommend replacing them together if you are still using the originals.

I don't have any experience in the poly, but the rubber feels just fine. Save the Poly for your suspension. If I'm not mistaken (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I am) Poly is used because it doesn't distort as much under loads. It's primarily used for suspension components. Motor and tranny mounts need to give more to smooth out the ride and REDUCE the vibrations felt.

I went with rubber.
I originally tried just the tranny, but decided to do the motor mounts after my clunk in the Xfer persisted. After I did so, I immediately noticed that the clunks, creaks and squeaks I was so used to had disappeared and the Jeep felt great.

Just my .02 , but for the money you cant go wrong replacing all three.

John

I went through the same thing a few months ago. Damaged two radiators from engine walking around on two torn motor mounts and a bad trans mount. Did the trans and engine mounts at the same time. Used the daystar trans mount. Does lift the trans a bit. Used currie motor mounts. Sure I feel some vibrations (part of the dash was already falling off). BUT..I shouldnt have to worry about those problems again.

Daystar Auto Mt is too high!

The Daystar Auto mount is 1" higher than original and caused deceleration vibes - I replaced it with a stock Autozone (lifetime) and had no problems. My 89 is stock height (upcountry) and a highway driver so the vibes were bad. I have the MORE rubber engine mts - slight vib at idle, fine on road.

Does anybody know of a poly trans mount that is the same height as stock instead of taller?

What are the average lifetimes of tranny and motor mounts? (stock ones, that is)
I've been having a hard clunking sound mostly hitting bumps in the road at 30+ MPH. Seems to come from the front left, but hard to know for sure. It's hard to get out and nail down where the sound is coming from when the Jeep is moving.;) However, I also sometimes get a clunk in the rear starting from a dead stop, like at a light. But this doesn't happen all the time.

I am currently having this same problem as DharmaDog and am having a hard time figuring it out. Haven't had much time to look at it but with the inlaws staying with us for the holidays I figure I will be hiding in the garage a bunch so I might as well work on the xj............Any suggestions on where to start.........it's a 91 with 4.0 241 with RE4.5..thanks

Well, poop. I don't know then. All your shock bolts tight? I usually forget to check those when I'm doing routine maintenance/suspension checking, and I've heard they can clunk pretty badly if they come loose.

Timber said:
DharmaDog and HammsBoy, try tightening the nuts on top of your anti-sway bar end links.
Seeing how this thread was in 2003, I think HammsBoy has either figure out what the clunk was or didnt care enough. :gag:

Starboard M said:
Seeing how this thread was in 2003, I think HammsBoy has either figure out what the clunk was or didnt care enough. :gag:
Yeah, well, I saw it come up and didn't pay attention to the original date. HammsBoy's the one who brought it back up, but I guess I should pay better attention.

DharmaDog said:
What are the average lifetimes of tranny and motor mounts? (stock ones, that is)
I've been having a hard clunking sound mostly hitting bumps in the road at 30+ MPH. Seems to come from the front left, but hard to know for sure. It's hard to get out and nail down where the sound is coming from when the Jeep is moving.;) However, I also sometimes get a clunk in the rear starting from a dead stop, like at a light. But this doesn't happen all the time.
Trac-bar. Be sure to tighten the frame mount.

Back