• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Different type of Gear question

Boatwrench

NAXJA Forum User
What gears are the quietest? Yukon, Spicer, Superior?

I have this question here instead of other-tech for more exposure.

The 4.10's in my 1990 suburban (454 cuin) are howling on the drive side at 55-60mph and acceleration at lower speeds. The noise goes away on coast.

The suburban's larger interior requires quiet gears due to increased resonance.

Thanks,
Tom

The first question to be answered is what rear axle is in the truck??

Typically, factory gearsets are the best. Spicer is available readily for Dana axles. For a GM corporate axle(14 bolt?), I haven't looked at what factory options there are other than going through GM. Any large body styles like vans or utility vehicles are sensitive to gear noise resonating as you say.

If the noise is changing dependent of throttle you have pinion brgs. getting loose. This allows the pinion gear to move in and out under different load conditions(accel, coast). The gearset may be OK once new brgs are installed. You need to pull teh cover and look at them to see. How long has it been making this noise?

i have the same problem in my 96 xj. i just put on a 4 1/2" lift and it was fine, then i put 5 deg. shim to lower my pin angle, now it feels like there is slop in the axle. if i am coasting and tap the gas pedel it vibes for 1 or 2 sec like it grabs some backlash, are my bearings bad?

Back