• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time to replace leaf springs - while I'm at it...

McFly

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

My leaf springs have sagged so poorly in the rear, that they're inverted, like a "W". So I'm looking at replacing them with RE's 3.5" leaf springs, and while I'm at it, I'm thinking I should match the rear with some front 3.5" coil springs, and some OME shocks. Here's a list of everything I think I should buy - can you help me add to it something I'm missing, or remove from it something I don't need? Thanks :)

(I've already got a 1.5" shackle, 2" coil spacer, and JKS Quicker Disconnects)

3.5" RE leaf springs
3.5" RE coil springs
OME Long Travel Shocks
PORC HD SYE (the $169 shipped one)
DriveShaft from somewhere
New U-Bolts
X-Fer Case Lowering Kit?
Brake Lines Front and Rear?
Control Arms? Trackbar? (hopefully no one those two)

Thanks in advance for your time and advice. :)

If you get the SYE, then you won't need the t-case lowering kit. Axle shims will help with rotating the pinion up.

Would def go with an adj trackbar, unless you want your side dirty, and the pass side clean. Also, the arms help with keeping the axle where it should be.

Go with YJ brake lines, and use pass side e-brake cables for both.

Fergie

This will put you at approx. 6". I've got a 96 at the same hieght. Since you are doing the SYE & DS, you should not need the X-fer case lowering kit. But you may need shims for the rear. I used brake lines from a 95 Wrangler, I believe. I got fixed uca's & lca's, should have gotten adjustable. I also got a HD adjustable track bar at the same time. HTH. JIM.

I got the 3.5 springs and OME shocks on my jeep. I got fixed lower control arms and an adjustable trackbar. I didn't need brake lines or a SYE with this setup. I did have to straighten the hard brak lines in the front though. this is on a 90 XJ.

Anyone know who here is an Authorized RE re-seller and also carries OME stuff? I'd like to send out a quote request for probably a 4.5" Super-Flex kit, since it has all the stuff I need, and upgrade to adjustable arms and the nicer trackbar, and remove the sway-bar disconnects, x-fer case lowering kit, and 2" front bumpstop.

I'm gonna get the HD SYE from PORC and a drive-shaft from I still haven't figured out yet...

Okay well I've been doing some talking with a fellow Jeeper on this board, and I think I've decided what I want:

RE 6030 3.5" SuperFlex Kit w/leafs
- minus swaybar stuff
- minus 2" bumpstop
OME Nitrocharger Shocks (4)

I can wait and see if I need a SYE & DriveShaft later I think, and I can drill my current trackbar to save $$$.

Jeepinoutfitters.com has the RE6030 for $729 + $100 for OMEs (upgrade) and FREE SHIPPING! So for $829, minus the stuff I need removed (if they'll do it), does that sound like a good deal? :)

I've talked to both Dirk and Richard... Dirk said to take the deal with Jeepinoutfitters.com, because it's so low, they must only be making a $20 profit on it. Richard gave me a good price on the kit, but without shocks. :(

I'm down with the free shipping thing from JeepinOutfitters. Anyone know any other vendors that match price? I might as well just order the RE6030 from JeepinOutfitters.com if now. Isn't that guy Jason?

I got this same kit from jeepinoutfitters, it was the best price I found when I was looking. Don't know if anyone has any deals running lately

McFly said:
Before this post, I'd never even heard of DC4WD... turns out he could give me the BEST price of anyone I talked to. If this was eBay I'd put positive feedback saying "A++++ Seller Very Quick, Great Product" etc. :D haha!!! Thanks DC4WD!!! :)
Yup, best prices around.

Fergie

Ditch the 3.5" XJ coils and go with 3" ZJ coils.
Much better with the 3.5 leafs, IMHO.
Work well with heavy bumper/winch.
RE 1431.
HTH.

bgcntry72 said:
Ditch the 3.5" XJ coils and go with 3" ZJ coils.
Much better with the 3.5 leafs, IMHO.
Work well with heavy bumper/winch.
RE 1431.
HTH.

Where were ya 48 hours ago?? LOL j/k.

I already ordered the kit Tuesday around noon...

Also I'm wondering - on the day I install my kit - should I install 6* shims too? Thanks in advance. :)

McFly said:
Where were ya 48 hours ago?? LOL j/k.

I already ordered the kit Tuesday around noon...

Also I'm wondering - on the day I install my kit - should I install 6* shims too? Thanks in advance. :)

Yes, and make sure you bolt them to the packs with the center pin.

Fergie

The 3" ZJ coils will give you 4.5" with a stock bumper, and 4" with a decent bumper.
No experience with a winch.
Rate-wise, many people find them a better match for the 3.5" leafs than any XJ coils.
I run these with 2 isolators(1 extra) and get about 4.5" after 6 months of hard use, and front/rear bumpers.
As for the shims...head to Ace and get an angle finder, magnetic or otherwise.
Place it on the plugs where the axle tubes enter the pumpkin, and measure the angle.
Next, place the finder on the driveshaft and measure that angle.
You want the axle reading to be about 1 degree less than the shaft reading.
Bolt the packs up, drive it a couple of days, unless the wobble is horrible, and then measure the angle.
Shim to match the difference.
I.E. 12 degrees on the axle plugs and 16 degrees on the shaft, and you need about a 3 degree shim.
You *will* have to do some trial and error, and disassemble the packs once or twice, unless you are really lucky.
Welcome to the maddening world of lifting an XJ.
Good luck.

bgcntry72 said:
The 3" ZJ coils will give you 4.5" with a stock bumper, and 4" with a decent bumper.
No experience with a winch.
Rate-wise, many people find them a better match for the 3.5" leafs than any XJ coils.
I run these with 2 isolators(1 extra) and get about 4.5" after 6 months of hard use, and front/rear bumpers.
As for the shims...head to Ace and get an angle finder, magnetic or otherwise.
Place it on the plugs where the axle tubes enter the pumpkin, and measure the angle.
Next, place the finder on the driveshaft and measure that angle.
You want the axle reading to be about 1 degree less than the shaft reading.
Bolt the packs up, drive it a couple of days, unless the wobble is horrible, and then measure the angle.
Shim to match the difference.
I.E. 12 degrees on the axle plugs and 16 degrees on the shaft, and you need about a 3 degree shim.
You *will* have to do some trial and error, and disassemble the packs once or twice, unless you are really lucky.
Welcome to the maddening world of lifting an XJ.
Good luck.

Thanks seriously! I've read about putting a shim to fix the angles and whatnot, just never knew how to do it! I really appreciate it! :)

Unfortunately I already ordered the lift :( I have a heavy front and rear bumper - so I'm not sure how that's going to affect the lift height or sagging.

Back