• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

startin ta git peesd...

freewithfire

NAXJA Forum User
startin ta git ...

Same '91 givin me trouble. My ac hasn't worked since I've gotten my XJ. Okay. Don't care. However, my mechanical fan has been whangin against one of my pulleys lately, and come to find out (after applying the scientific method of course), the mounting plate for my ac compressor...yup the same one the fan is connected to...is broken on the top in the back...yeah, that bolt. Anyway, after much frustration and beating up some poor trees with a prybar, I've come to you guys. I'm stumped. I don't think they sell that piece at Discount Auto, and I don't want to go to a junkyard and buy another piece that's gonna do the same thing. Honestly, I'd just like to ditch the AC compressor all together, but I'm not sure how I'd route the serpensnakey belt. Yea, I've read the posts, but everybody opted for on board air. I just want to get RID OF THE BLOODY THING! Also, the bolt all the way on the bottom of the mount refuses to come out. Just turns and turns...am I missing a nut on the front somewhere??? Honestly, I just want to get my pooar wittle jeep back on the beat. ANY advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I "THINK" that there's an idler pulley that will replace the A/C. Seem to remember seeing one in the yard. I would imagine that it's probably listed in an exploded diagram in the FSM for that year.

According to the diagram that I found, Part #5300 6551, is a bracket that replaces the A/C compressor on the mount and allows a bushing, #330 2201, and pulley, #5300 2903, to be mounted to the front with a bolt (same as bolt on other idler pulley). It also lists a pulley assembly, #5300 2905, that is used for heater only, this may be all the parts in one unit. If you go to the dealership, it's all listed on Figure 7-1800 under the drive belt section. Hope this helps.

Suuuuper. Dealership's gonna eat me alive on that one, I'm sure. Okay. I remember readin about those, but I was thinking maybe I could just use a shorter belt and reroute it, but then I know that the water pump has to run in a certain direction and I KNOW I'd manage to screw that one up. Also, I managed to jerry rig the ac mount before I decided to ditch it, and I found that my serpentine belt was IMPOSSIBLE to get back on...Am I missing something? Any tips, maybe?

Another question, If I do opt for on board air, and I run the lines to a tank, how does the tank not get overpressurized? How do you regulate the amount of air compressed into the tank? Probably a stupid question, but one I've been pondering nonetheless.

Men are like steel. Once they lose their temper, they lose their worth.
Hell, I'm long since worthless!

simple you just put in a pressure switch that will disconnect the leectric to the a/c clutch so it stops compressing air then will turn back on at a set pressure. they cost like 15.00 at any toolo r hardware store

Me likes...much helpful information from all. I learn sumting fwom evewy man. Thanks guys. You wouldn't happen to have pics or any more information on the installation of such a switch for a novice, would ya? And can I run that compressor on there with no lines attached, until I get around to an air tank, just so I can use the ol girl as a DD? Also, about that bolt on the bottom rear of the ac compressor mounting bracket, am I not seeing a nut in the front or something, cause that sucker just keeps turning and turning, and refuses to come any looser...

Does your compressor run? It would have to for onboard air. You don't have to have a tank unless setting beads or running air tools. Go to www.onboardair.com
and look under accessories for pressure switches etc.

Alrighty then. How bout that serpentine belt? Mine refuses to go back on, or maybe I'm just an idiot. I've loosened my p/s pulley to the furthest point I believe possible, but regardless of how much I tighten the adjustment bolt down below, the belt is still to tight. Am I missing something?

Oh, and Grizzley, you would happen to have the part number for the original ac mounting plate, the one that I broke, that is? If I opt for on board air I would appreciate knowing that...

The part number for the bracket is 5300 6548, I couldn't find it at Telico 4X4 or Crown so except from a dealer your best bet is a yard. I'm assuming your 91 is a 4.0

You'd be surprised how much your dealer can "work" on the price when asked. Especially on items like that. Mopar likes to clean out old inventory and at least make some money on it.

Back