• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

noob question

ogg

NAXJA Forum User
hi all....
i am wondering if i made a clip that would hold the sleve, that joins the front axels, in place so that thier always connected, would or could it cause any prolbems in my front differential if the axels were connected all the time.
thanks
ogg

If you mean the 2 pc passenger side axle shaft on the D30, you can home-brew your own using a couple of different things. I used about 10 washers inside the CAD to shim the shift fork over holding the locking collar in place. Others have used a small hose clamp, and some have just slid the collar/fork over and capped off the vac fittings, and it seems to stay in place. You won’t hurt anything by doing this, and if anything it’s an improvement since you’re eliminating a potential problem area (the CAD motor, vac lines, loss of vac, etc….)
HTH,
Jeff

ogg said:
would or could it cause any prolbems in my front differential if the axels were connected all the time.
the newer cherokees (91+ iirc) al have perminantly connected front ends - so you *shouldnt* have a problem...

though - i wish that i could disconect my front end...

there are also CABLE locks that connect the front end VIA cable rather than vacuum presure....

so you can have 2WD LO if you desire (open diff), or if you have a locker in the front, the disco shaft helps steering ability. I'm not planning for a locker, but do want the 2LO option. I have a 2-position vac manual vac switch I pulled from an early model XJ that I'm going to plumb up to my CAD (and remove the washers) sometime soon that will act as a manual disconnect to do this.....just can't seem to find the time lately to wrench :(
Jeff

Back