• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil in airfilter

jar

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1991 4.0L that has engine oil on the airfilter I have changed the filter and after 3000 miles it looks like i didn't even change it. what is causing this and how do you fix it the engine has 178000 miles on it.

jar said:
i have a 1991 4.0L that has engine oil on the airfilter I have changed the filter and after 3000 miles it looks like i didn't even change it. what is causing this and how do you fix it the engine has 178000 miles on it.

This was just asked in another thread...

Follow link and examine articles on blowby.
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/cherokee/xjtech/xj-engines.html

If that doesn't work, at 179K you might just need a rebuilt.

Gud Luk :)

Last edited:
Yes, those blow-by articles are good, they explain what going on. Go to your local dealer and pick up the right parts. Not sure of the cut off dates on certain part numbers and might as well put the burden on the parts guy to get the right parts.

Do a search on Blow-by. Make sure you get a good seal on the valve cover gasket. Look at the MADXJ site for a update on the CCV system with the newer bigger hose.
Tom

Hey Guys,

Clean-RC gave me a great tip. I have an 88 4.0 litre with 215,000 miles. I had heavy blow by. I changed my valve cover to one off of an 01 Wrangler, $35 for the valve cover, and $50 for the gasket. This is the best $85 I've spent on my jeep, no blow by and no oil leaks. In my opinion this is the way to go. The valve cover is a much better design in that it has a full length baffle to deflect oil.

Back